Featured Haunted wedding chairs?!?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by melanie p, Feb 17, 2020.

1. melanie p

melanie p New Member

Hi! I have been looking everywhere on the internet but I need help identifying some antique chairs.

I bought these chairs (there are two similar chairs) from a yard sale and the weaved seat was broken so I got a great deal. I want to use these for our wedding in October but I am so curious about the history of the chairs

They are hand carved with floral embellishments and bells hanging in a grid along the back and the arms of the chairs.

We have replaced the broken seat with a cushion (as you see in the last photo) so that is not original.

Any thoughts on this or advice on where else I might be able to get more information on these?? Thanks for all comments, in advance. My fiancé is joking that they might be haunted

Attached Files:

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not sure but try a google for spindle chair and see what shows up

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’d guess Anglo-Indian due to the bells, but see what others think. 3FD9B293-E859-4BDA-A94C-795DF9759E3D.jpeg 961E78FB-BE42-4D21-A1BF-BCA675B6095B.jpeg

4. i need help

5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Well if you are awake at midnight and the bells start ringing then there's your first clue he was right! :wideyed: :)

pearlsnblume, judy, melanie p and 2 others like this.
  6. i need help

I think furniture folks could use close-up photos of the carving (looks floral) and casters.

Figtree3, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

I think they may be Moroccan...Moroccan Throne Chairs. mid 20th century

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I bet @Ownedbybear or @Any Jewelry will recognize them if they're Anglo-Indian. I'd be wondering about other points in Southeast Asia too. They're pretty awesome.

9. i need help

Punjabi Chair, I think.

10. melanie p

melanie p New Member

I’ve seen them listed as Punjabi chairs too after looking up the Anglo Indian chairs. I wonder how one would know the difference? I am working on getting detailed photos of the chair & carvings

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  11. i need help

Wherever they are from, I think they are possibly traditional Wedding Chairs.
    So likely, they are Blessed rather than haunted. ;)

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Melanie.
    Your chairs are perfect for your wedding, they are indeed wedding chairs from the Punjab, the India-Pakistan border region.
    Most are painted in 'happy wedding colours' like red. Yours could have been stripped by a previous owner. The red cushions bring the colour symbolism back, so you are fine to go ahead and get married.:happy:

Anglo Indian, Indo-Portuguese or Indo-Dutch furniture is European type furniture made in India or Sri Lanka, using traditional Indian crafts, woods and style of decoration. For instance, a European type four poster bed, made of ebony and handcarved with Indian lotus flower decoration.
    Since these chairs have no relation to any European tradtion, they are not Anglo Indian but traditional Punjabi.

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

What she said. ;)

The bells are also a good clue. I've seen these carried, complete with bride and groom, on the shoulders of a crowd. The chairs make a happy noise.

You now need nice traditional suits and saris and some wedding bling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Any Jewelry

Yep, I've seen that too, Indian weddings are beautiful.:)

bluumz, kyratango and i need help like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

There is much food, but it's ALWAYS late. ;) My Pakistani neighour also moaned bitterly at the Bengali wedding we both attended. "Where's the naan? It's all bloody RICE!"

16. Any Jewelry

A very Asian thing. The first thing Dutch Indonesians do when you enter their house, is feed you, and they will feed you all day if you let them.:playful: Mind you, most people find it hard to say no to Indonesian food.:)

i need help likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Me included. I am very partial to any culture which considers it obliglatory to force me to eat deliciousness. (Yes, neighbour, the one who brought me home made onion pakoras on Monday, I mean you!)

Any Jewelry, i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @melanie p !

I'm interested in the fact that you may have chosen these for your wedding without knowing what they were. Were they advertised as wedding chairs when you bought them? If not, that is quite a coincidence/ synchronicity. And perhaps a very positive sign!

If they are haunted, I hope the haunting is by positive spirits from previous weddings. :)

19. Ownedbybear

.....and in other news, ANOTHER neighbour has just shown up with potato curry, naans and Bombay mix. That's dinner sorted, then.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

So I don't have to come over to London with this?

[​IMG]

Bookahtoo and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted