Featured Have a Kind of Dumb Question

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ola402, Sep 10, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

If a piece of silverplate was made during the Victorian era, would it be referred to as Victorian even if it was made in the United States? I figure Grover Cleveland was president when my piece was made, but I've never heard of eras being mentioned in US terms based on our leaders since they don't serve that long. Here's the item, a footed basket made by Eureka Silver (Meriden Silver Plate Co. ).

DSCF7049.jpg DSCF7056.jpg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I think the term is quite appropriate to refer to 19th C stuff, usually second half of the 19th C. People do use it , anyway.

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks, af! I don't know how these ideas blow into my head to make me question that.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Pam, it's not a dumb question at all!!!

Back in the 1970's, when I was in college, there was a HUGE debate within the English department over a course called VICTORIAN LITERATURE.

The center of the debate was whether other-than-English literature could be included in the syllabus!

KingofThings likes this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thank you! That makes me feel better. In the case of Victorian literature, my mind goes to English only (as in the UK and its writers, not the language). But I can understand the question. Really, when you think about it, Victorian can apply to any country where English is spoken.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I've always questioned it myself. Victorian, Edwardian etc are not really US time periods though generally understood.

Pre-civil war, antebellum, or similar are sometimes used but I prefer just noting the part of the century (first half of the 19th, late 18th, early 20th etc). It makes more sense to me unless you're describing something British.

But that's me;).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    desperate_fun and KingofThings like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

There really are no dumb questions!!!!

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted