Have you ever seen a pot/planter like this one?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bookahtoo, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

A friend of mine brought this in the other day. He said it belonged to his grandmother, and she had it ever since he could remember. He's in his late 60s. I think it may date back to the 1940s. It's about 8" tall. The decorations look like they were rolled into the clay. There are some cracks which almost outline various forms. Can anyone help?

smallDSCN0843.JPG

smallDSCN0844.JPG

smallDSCN0847.JPG

smallDSCN0850.JPG smallDSCN0852.JPG

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Nope. If it didn't look like it has age on it, I'd think China. Does it have actual age? The paint job makes me think China import.

UncleChuckTX and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. antidiem

The bottom looks like nothing I've ever seen and sort of artificially aged..?

I don't think this is majolica or old.

blooey likes this.
  4. Bookahtoo

I don't think he's lying. He might be mis-remembering.
    It could have come from Canada. He has family there. I'll ask him more questions about it this Thursday.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bookahtoo

Anti - do you see what I mean about how the dragonfly and leaves are formed?

6. antidiem

I don't think he's lying either, maybe it is old but not majolica?

7. antidiem

They look "on top of" the clay, so rolled onto a slab of clay - is that what you mean, Book? It looks hand built, it's heavy, right? ;)

8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Are you thinking about tube lining or slip trailing? Beats me.

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not majolica, more "drip glaze." The outlines of the leaves, etc. seem to be very "neat" so I don't think they were hand applied. But I do like it!

UncleChuckTX and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  11. Bookahtoo

I'll talk to him Thursday.

It does look old in person.

Draft saved Draft deleted