Featured Haviland & Co? Cup and Saucer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Jan 1, 2021.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Blue Porcelain cup and saucer. Both have the same type of twist . The saucer or plate measures about 6" across and has 2 cherubs. The cup is bigger then the norm. 2 1/2" tall and measures 3 3/4" across the top. This has flowers. Although the plate and cup have that gold splotching, do these go together?

cs1.JPG cs2.JPG cs3.JPG cs4.JPG cs5.JPG cs6.JPG

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

judy and i need help like this.
  3. kraftblue

Thanks Bercrystal

bercrystal likes this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Bread and butter plate, maybe? The saucers seem to have indents in the center.

judy and bercrystal like this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Early Haviland Cup Saucers did not have a cup ring. This is an early set, can tell by the early green mark. I agree with Peggy. This set is hobbyist painted and might go together. But why would you want to cover up the cute little cherubs with a cup? The painting colors are the same on the 2 pieces, but they might have come from a larger set.

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Oh I know why! To surprise the coffee/tea drinker every time they lifted the cup.

7. kraftblue

Ola402 Thank you for your help!

judy and ola402 like this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I should have remembered that only a green mark meant decorated elsewhere, but I still don't think that's a saucer.

judy likes this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Probably not a saucer, but the real saucer would have looked just like this piece. As part of a larger set, this "saucer" was likely used for bits of food, cookies, biscuits etc. eaten with tea or coffee. I like the Torse pattern and pick it up whenever I see it. That's when I learned about the early saucers not having a cup ring. At first It seemed as if I was seeing way too many bread plates, but then I found it in one of my Haviland books. Later, I'll go to my basement. I have a Torse set down there that includes demitasse and regular cups and saucers. Maybe a measure would help.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted