Hawkes Crystal Bowl, Napoleon Pattern

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by emS, Jul 26, 2021.

1. emS

emS Member

My friendly neighborhood thrift store had a number of items donated from the leftovers of an estate sale. I picked up some Royal Copenhagen Dagmar items (teapot, candle holder, pickle dish). The next day, I found this. I was searching all over on the bottom for a mark of signature in the cuts before I found it right in the center of the bowl on the top. It's Hawkes, and about 10 inches in diameter. It's also almost immaculate.

In my pattern research, I discovered that the Hawkes mark is in use again, starting in 2016, in Tiffin, Ohio (that was news to me). Their website FAQ mentions that they are using new patterns, but that they did reproduce a few of the old favorites. They just don't mention which ones. But they do have the Napoleon pattern displayed prominently on their site, in a 1907 advertisement for a sandwich plate.

So, do any of you have any idea of which items the contemporary Hawkes Co. reproduced in the years since 2016? Or even whether the original Hawkes Co. made a bowl in the 10 inch size? The (very sharp) point on the bottom make it difficult to determine any scratches like I would expect to find on a flat bottom. There are maybe three flea bites on the whole bowl that I could find.

And finally, is anyone aware of whether the new Hawkes Co. made any adjustments to the mark that would allow differentiating between old and new production?

Either way, I have a lovely, well-crafted bowl, but I need to clarify. I can also try emailing them, but I thought I'd start here. And yes, it cost $12.99

IMG_0895_2.JPG IMG_0898_2.JPG IMG_0913_2.JPG

2. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Nice piece !! That is one of the marks used by original factory. I believe the "new mark" says made in Tiffin Ohio or something like that.
    Great job finding the mark ! Lots of people can't see them at all! (nice photos too..)

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted