Haynes-Love Silver Goblets 1860

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Chasingwaves, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Chasingwaves

Chasingwaves New Member

Hello, My name is Brenda and I am a recent retiree and hobby genealogist on a mission to locate the whereabouts of any Haynes silver goblets. Please see the story below. Through ancestry.com I located several distant relatives who provided clues and one directed me to the 2005 ebay (estate?) sale of my 3rd great-grandmother's goblets. When I posted this story on ebay, I was referred here to seek the help of your "Antiquers".

Does anyone know how to locate a seller/buyer from a 2005 ebay listing or know of these silver goblets? See ebay item information below of Harriet "Hattie" Haynes (Love) goblets dated, 1860.

Here is background information: The story varies slightly but around 1860, Harriet's sister, Adeline Haynes (Given) was living in New Orleans and purchased sets of 6 Silver Goblets for each of her siblings (I estimate there were 7 living Haynes siblings at the time for a total of 42 goblets) however, some believe there were only 1 per sibling. The goblets were engraved with her name, their name and date. She wanted them to be passed down through the generations. She died in 1860, childless and her husband delivered the gifts when he brought her home to Kentucky to be buried. It appears as if the siblings honored their sister's wishes as there is evidence a few have been passed down through the generations and at least one has made it into 2019! The goblet pictured in my profile here is from another sibling's, Emilius Paulus Haynes, line that was also engraved with their names and date. Any information/direction is appreciated.

Info from the ebay sale:

2 Silver Goblets Hammered Engraved 1860 New Orleans
    Item number: 7304546708

Seller:
    lynnandlu ( 1647)
    Positive Feedback: 100%
    Member since Jan-04-03 in United States
    Winning bid:
    US $721.11
    Ended:
    Mar-06-05 17:34:32 PST
    Item location:
    Albany, Oregon
    United States

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  2. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I just read the ebay discussion. :hilarious: They were being very kind as to why this group formed. I'm surprised a Worthpoint listing didn't come up for that old auction when I searched.

There are some amazing researchers on this site that will come along. I'm not one of them. :rolleyes: I Googled LynnandLu. There is a lynnandLu Lynn and Lu selling hand made bows and baby items. Many people left ebay for various reasons so it's possible it could be the same. Here is an Instagram link.

https://www.instagram.com/lynnandlu/?hl=en

An article came up about a retired couple Lynn and Lu Cormier Here is a link to that.

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golftalkcentral/am-tour-one-competitive-couple

Last, a Cafe LynnandLu Cafe

http://orderlynnandlusescapadecafe.com/

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This is a tough one. I just checked Ebay (which I'm sure you'd done, but wanted to double check) and that seller is no longer listed. Since their account seems to have expired, even if you found them it would be unlikely they'd be able to tell you who/where they sold it to in 2005 since a closed account won't show history. The only thing would be if they happened to know the buyer, a local sale through Ebay or something. Very unlikely, but you never know.

I suppose you could post a question on Craigslist that covers Albany, Oregon. If it was me I would post it twice, both under "Collectibles" and "Antiques". Even though these are CL spots for selling, not questions, I'd put it there. And everything has to go in the subject line. Something like: "Trying to contact 2005 Ebay seller: lynnandlu." For the CL page, you'll need to fill in an amount (as if you are selling something) just put $1 or whatever.

The chances of this producing anything are tiny, but it is something you can do in less than 10 minutes, and doesn't cost anything.

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Can't imagine what assistance I could provide - agree with all of the above, tracking back to a 14 year old sale by a no longer registered seller would be an extreme longshot. But good luck and welcome...

~Cheryl

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Brenda. Having been summoned via tag, I've read through both your threads here and the recent discussion on eBay to see if there is any part of this search that I might be able to help with. But unless you need assistance finding more descendants of your 3rd great grandmother's siblings, I'm afraid I would not be much help. Although I do have a love of silver items, I'm not good at finding something this specific without more details - like the smith who made them. And of course there is no guarantee that even the 2 involved in the 2005 ebay sale have ever been for sale again and have never been sold as scrap. (a sad outcome of the 2008 recession for many items made of precious metals)

If, by chance it is genealogy search help you need, please reply here and I will send you a "conversation" on this site (the equivalent of a private message.)

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Social media would probably get more results than Craigslist. I've read about some very successful searches for by putting the information on Facebook and Twitter and asking people to spread the word. The police solved a 45 year old hit and run case using Facebook so a twelve year old ebay listing, isn't out of the realm of possibility.

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Do you know the maker of these goblets? If they’ve been re-listed maybe that is another search method.

komokwa and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  9. Chasingwaves

Chasingwaves New Member

Thank you for the information. I did google and found the Instagram and café online but no the golf channel article which looks promising. I'll be doing some follow up!

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  10. Chasingwaves

Chasingwaves New Member

I do not know the maker. I have asked the only known owner of a goblet if they will take more pictures. Thank you!

i need help likes this.
  11. Chasingwaves

Chasingwaves New Member

Thank you for all your tips! I'll post in several other places as there may be others belonging to one of the other siblings descendants still out there.

i need help likes this.
  12. Chasingwaves

Chasingwaves New Member

Thanks again, and yes I've posted on my Love Family Ancestry FB page which is a start. I'll also post on the Ancestry.com message boards.

i need help likes this.
  13. Chasingwaves

Chasingwaves New Member

I've asked for more pictures of the only goblet still around to see if we can locate a maker mark. If I get something, I'll update here. Thanks again!

i need help likes this.
  14. Mill Cove Treasures

Curious if anyone knows why the old auction doesn't appear on Worthpoint?

i need help likes this.
  15. Chasingwaves

Chasingwaves New Member

I located a Lu Cormier on FB and have sent a message. We'll see if this is the seller.

16. Chasingwaves

Chasingwaves New Member

Hello all - Here is a picture of the engraving on the Marmarduke Haynes goblet. No maker's stamp on this one.

Attached Files:

17. Mill Cove Treasures

You should post a photo of that in your requests for help. Someone might recognize it.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted