Heavy Metal Asian Vases

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Deux Coeurs, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Deux Coeurs

Deux Coeurs Well-Known Member

This pair of metal vases is going up for auction. They're described as being Chinese, heavy, and 16" tall. These are not my photos and it's all I have. I like the style and am interested in them but am curious as to whether they're most likely just modern decorative items. Any signs pointing this direction? Thank you for any help you can offer.
    20210220_144012.jpg 20210220_144012.jpg 20210220_144039.jpg 20210220_144129.jpg 20210220_144156.jpg 20210220_144215.jpg

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Given the lack of detail and odd look to the mounts I would think they are most likely very new and patinated to look old. If the red powder is the remains of casting sand then is a dead cert! That said there is nothing wrong with them being new as long as you know such and pay an appropriate price, imagine the work that goes into making them for the price they are likely to fetch.

komokwa, Houseful and Deux Coeurs like this.
  3. Deux Coeurs

Thanks!

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I disagree. Even though they are designed after and use early Chinese design motifs, I believe these vases are in fact Japanese and date from the Meiji period.

verybrad and Deux Coeurs like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they do seem to have an older more simple , but elegant design to them..

Deux Coeurs likes this.
  6. Deux Coeurs

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Much appreciated!

komokwa likes this.
  7. Deux Coeurs

They sold for $1,760!

komokwa likes this.
  8. Deux Coeurs

They sold for$1,760!