Hello all enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rnjholloway, Oct 13, 2017.

1. rnjholloway

rnjholloway New Member

I am exhausted in my search to date my dining room table and chairs set.
    Things I know about our table. ... we bought it from a very nice couple out of Seattle who had just moved here from Whales. He and his partner acquired it from a boardroom in a Law Firm he had worked at in 1995 and paid 5,000.00 for it. He believes it to be early 1920s and American Gothic. I did some research and I just dont see it fitting into that style. Although we did find a set very similar to mine built by Rockford CHair and Co. The chairs were not of the quality or look of mine, but that doesn't mean anything. ( I am including a picture of that set, its. the yellow one... my leaves match my table perfectly, all 3 do and my chairs are an orange velvet with hammered nail trim)
    Now it could be a replica or reproduction, and I'm OK with that. I want to refinish the chairs, but before I do a want to know if it is or not so I don't ruin the authentic qualities.
    I took tons of photos and there have been some alterations over the years to the set. Philips head screws and more modern latches for the leaves have been added. The chairs underneath have had a mesh stapled over them, but underneath is a woven pattern. The chairs fillings are almost crunchy, for lack of a better word, but still comfortable. The chairs have no visible screws or nails aside from the staples. Each table legs carvings are slightly different, but not noticeable unless you look closely. Castors have been added in the 90's for ease of movement at the bank (per the previous owners).
    I thought this set might be Louis the XIV period or inspired from that era, but the legs don't line up with the cabriole style used. So now I'm leaning more towards the Empire era. I'm at a loss and appreciate your valuable time and expertise, I can send lots of pictures if you would like them. Also the only markings on the table are a circle with an M or W in it on either underside of the table, one on each end and one on all 3 of the leaves. They are etched into the wood. There are 4 ladies chairs, 4 gentlemen chairs and 2 captains. 10 total, all velvet with backs covered with wood mounted carvings on top.
    Thank you for your time and have a blessed day

Attached Files:

judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Welcome! :)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME rnjholloway !! Please move your question and pics. to the "FURNITURE" section, you will receive more replies there, Joy.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

greetings

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I know nothing about the set, but it's pretty.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted