Hello and help

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bree, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Bree

Bree New Member

Hello everyone. I am a 32 year old female and I love antiques and vintage items. I am still learning a lot and I recently bought this lamp and was hoping someone might be able to help me in telling me more. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/111309862

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

greetings

TraceyB likes this.
  3. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

Hi Bree
    I can't help you with your piece but just wanted to say welcome :happy:

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Hello Bree, welcome to the forum.
    It’s best to start a new thread for each item you post in the relevant category so the right people see it as it may get missed here in introductions.
    Maybe the Antique discussion would be the best place to put it or in the ceramic section if that’s what it is.
    Post lots of photos including the base so we can see what you have.
    If you click upload file , then full image we see full size photos. If they are too large then email them to yourself to resize them before posting. Ask if you have any problems :)

5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Welcome:)

pearlsnblume and TraceyB like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hello.

TraceyB likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Bree, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!:)

TraceyB likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Bree!

TraceyB likes this.
  9. Catrea

Catrea New Member

Hi I’m Catrea. I have no idea how to post but here’s to figuring it out lol happy new year all

TraceyB and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hi There. I assume you have seen this link about how to present your items here, if not here it is.
    Posting a thread and uploading pictures. | Antiques Board (antiquers.com)

Make a new post for each item or related group on the forum that specializes in that item such as the Pottery, Glass and Porcelain Forum.

Many new members have trouble uploading photos because they exceed the photo limit of 1MB. Here are some instructions on what to do. They relate to how to upload from a phone:

Email your photo to yourself selecting size Medium. This will do the trick. Here are two threads about how to resize pictures based on your phone type, if you need more help. When you post your pictures, please make sure you click on Insert as "Full Image" at the top of your pictures.
    Resizing Photos On I-Phone | Antiques Board (antiquers.com)
    Using an Android Phone For Pics on Antiquers | Antiques Board

If you are using a computer: Then depending on what type of computer you have you can resize them. If you have windows 10, download them and then go to the bottom where the folder is; find the photo in downloads. Click on it and then right click it. You should see a resize option.

@CheersDears posted - on my iMac, I drag pics to desktop, double click on them, click on Tools and then Adjust Size by as much as half.

Good luck. we're help to help you

Catrea, TraceyB and KSW like this.
  11. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Hi @Bree ...welcome! Your lamp looks typical of 1950's / early 60's lamps that my grandparents and my parents bought during that "Colonial revival" kitchen and living room furniture period. Interesting that the base is darker than the top parts... might be a "marriage" of parts from different lamps. A look under the base and at the electrical wiring will tell you a lot about its age , it may have a "UL" (Underwriters Labratory) sticker that showed it was "tested" to be fire safe........ posting some more pictures might help..... I do see the wiring and it is typical of that era maybe even up to the early 80's..... I see some casting on the inside of the metal base , some lettering and a copyright letter "C" in the circle, that is probably the manufacturer of it , UNLESS they took a different base and used it , like if one of the legs broke off of the original base . I see that cork gasket looks like it has been disturbed also ... the top "shiny" brass looks just like the 1963 pole light that to this day sits next to my dad's chair and has the same corrosion on it , so early 60's is my guess, especially if it was 1 block from the beach / salt air like at my dad's house ....lol

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    TraceyB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted