Hello! And symbol mark too

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Rdkd9979, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Rdkd9979

Rdkd9979 Floridamimi60

Hello! Thank you so much for allowing me to join your group. The funny thing is I thought I was already a member. But when I tried to add a question, it in essence asked, “who the heck are you?!” So I’m all legal now! My question pertains to the Chinese symbols. Why do some art, etc. not have the red mark and others do?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Rdkd9979!!!!! Well, nice to see you're official anyway! And I cannot answer your question.....but others will be along, if not tonight, then tomorrow!!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

greetings..

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Rdkd9979 !! ... Joy.

judy likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Rdkd9979.
    There are different reasons for that, depending on what kind of art it is. Best to explain what the red mark is, so you get an idea.
    The red mark is a seal. On porcelain it used to be a sign that the item was made during the reign of a certain emperor.
    The seals of favourite imperial periods were and are often copied in later periods, sometimes as a tribute to a golden age, but sometimes with the intention to deceive. This is the absolute favourite, the Qianlong mark:
    [​IMG]
    Emperor Qianlong was a great patron of the arts, Chinese art flourished during his reign.

Seals on ceramics and other materials can also be the mark of a workshop. A bit like a label.

Painters also use red seals. It is usually seen together with a signature of the artist in calligraphy. These are seals of the artist Xu Beihong (1895-1953):
    [​IMG]

Xu Beihong was known for combining Chinese and Western techniques. Most people have seen his work, the much copied paintings of galloping horses, for instance:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted