Featured Hello and thank you

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by WaynePB, Sep 8, 2019.

1. WaynePB

WaynePB Active Member

Hello my name is Wayne and this is not a discussion about an antique so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not but I just wanted to say thank you to some members on this site for welcoming me to it. I've been offline a couple of days doing family stuff and I hope those members who contacted me don't think their messages of support fell on deaf ears. Before I say what I want to say I want to thank Bronwen, Dave, Jivvy and Ineedhelp for not only making attempts to calm things down but for going out of their way to be decent human beings. Now to what I want to say. I have a bookcase in my front room. The number of books it contains isn't large simply because I am very selective about what it said in the confines of my living space, even if it is from authors who are content to keep their opinions to themselves until someone opens their pages. With a simple glance I see a book about experts trying to figure out who we are as Sapiens and why we rise above every other animal on this planet. Spoiler alert - one of the reasons is it's because a cognitive explosion has made us want to appreciate and understand where we come from. I have books on Persia, Greece and Rome right up to the formation of the modern Europe we know today. I don't have anything on America and for my American friends I apologise. It is up to you to find out where you came from and I hope your voyage will be as enjoyable as mine has been. I bought an antique a couple of weeks ago, at least I think it's an antique and every time I hold it in my hands I hope that it's an antique. I look at it and what it cost me, and what it may be of value, becomes totally meaningless. Someone, somewhere in the past, at some unspecified date that no one can agree upon, made something that was beautiful. That really is all I need to know. I posted pictures of it on this site and people who knew what they were talking about agreed that it was beautiful. That really is all I need to know. I will keep it and protect it until it becomes my daughter's after I am gone. That really is all I need to know. I held an inkwell in my hand tonight, held it up to the light and thought "My God the stories this must hold." Puts the crap about personalities disagreeing with each other in perspective doesn't it?

2. Phil F.

Phil F. Active Member

Hi Wayne, sometimes the simplest item catches our eye. For no particular reason, but it has an attraction to us. People of exotic philosophies understand that a persons energy, (positive or negative) can reside in an item long after the owner is gone. For you the item is beautiful, and holds value to you. Someday perhaps you'll come to understand more about the item. Enjoy it!

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Wayne!
    Many members here are interested in History, as it goes hand-in hand with antiques. Hope you enjoy learning here, and sharing your knowledge with us.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

One of my most favorite things (and I have LOTS of things!) is a very simple cup and saucer from the 1840s. Its nothing special,not worth a lot,but it just appeals to something in me. Welcome Wayne,and I hope you enjoy our board.

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Wayne,
    I am sorry if I came off as being nasty. It is one thing that I am always worried about. The printed word does not reflect emotion.(I take that back some writers are able to tell emotion) I just have to say something when I feel like someone is being nasty. I forgave you and chastised myself for saying something that hurt someone it was not my intent.
    greg

Bronwen, lloyd249, antidiem and 5 others like this.
  7. WaynePB

WaynePB Active Member

Blimey that was one hell of a bottle of wine yesterday. No problem Greg the internet isn't a great medium for getting things across. I hope to meet some nice new friends here

8. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

hi wayne welcome to the forum , i was watching that, but as i was about to hit enter when davey shut the thread down, which was probably best lol, i would just like to add that some times the comments should be asked as questions because without something in your hands or in front of you, can appear to be something else . i have been on here for a couple years now and take everything with a grain of salt hehehe, anyways welcome to the group and don't forget to check out the funnies section .
    ps . i change my icon regularly as it's easy to do , not that there is anything wrong with yours , you look great .
    Pss glad to see you didn't leave as we need new people with new ideas all the time .

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  9. WaynePB

WaynePB Active Member

thanks Lloyd like I said I'm not an expert but if I see something I can help with then I look forward to having a chat about it

Bronwen, Christmasjoy, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

The whispering of old things is what made me first love them.

I have had no wine. :joyful:

Bronwen, WaynePB, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  11. lloyd249

there are very few "expert" here lol just me lol jk hehehehe. and most are just thrown out opinions . but we do do a lot of research so more like educated guesses . i answered a Question for a water cooler ice cube and well some people didn't think it was , telling him to cut it open ,i told him to freeze it ,water is the only liquid that freezes , and you will have your answer lol

12. lloyd249

you can just imagine the crap i have had to put up with in the art world when i approach them with my picasso chair lol , i actually started a fight amongst themselves at facebook ,and almost got one band for her rude comments (admin got mad at her not me and not here lol )

Bronwen, WaynePB and cxgirl like this.
  13. lloyd249

would you like to see something amazing wayne . if no one objects lol hehehe altho it's the latest round of pics i have been taking since i brought it home from storage and some like to see them . it's in my icon , i bought it for $5 at the thrift store almost 5 years ago. for clarity just the chair . lol

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I buy broken old bits simply for the resonance. Roman glass. 18th century pickle dishes. Busted clay pipes. They can keep me fascinated for weeks on end.

Bronwen, WaynePB, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  15. lloyd249

i broke that huge black painted vase , by accident , but i did see it coming , and did nothing to prevent it , my bad DSC08212.JPG DSC08215.JPG DSC08230.JPG

16. lloyd249

again welcome and i hang mostly in the finds thread ,something new/old everyday lol

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Fantastic write-up, Wayne!
    Nice to see someone else wondering about all the life lived by an antique which appeals to you:happy:
    Welcome again:)

18. Chandler In Las Vegas

Chandler In Las Vegas Active Member

You got me at the blimey :) I think that this points out what someone pointed out to me many years ago about the differences between Americans and Brits. If you watch episodes of British Antiques Roadshow you will have the Brit appraiser paean melodically about the history of a piece, the significance of a piece, and why a piece has meaning. They will endlessly extol the fine points of a WW2 neighborhood battle station badge, what it is, who they were issued to, why they were issued and when they were worn before stating that they are quite common because of the nature of the Nazi bombings and worth about 15 pounds. American Antiques Roadshow is more about getting to the value. You brought in an original oil painting by X, who is a major artist of the Y group and it's nice you were his neighbor because of provenance and it is worth $25K. In some ways I envy the Brits. And nobody, NOBODY, can enter a great hall and stare at the ceiling like Fiona Bruce.

Bronwen, lloyd249, all_fakes and 2 others like this.
  19. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

And in addition, I enjoy the way the British Roadshow appraisers will often frame the valuation as a question:
    "If I were to place a value on this, I'd have to say something like fifteen pounds, wouldn't I?"

WaynePB, Bronwen and lloyd249 like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yesterday's AR had not a single valuation. It was all about the day WW2 started with some absolutely astonishing pieces of history. Wonderful.

I collect Doulton Lambeth because London is literally built on it. Yes, some has value, but it's about its meaning and history and the heritage of two millennia of pot making on the Thames. For example.

lloyd249, WaynePB, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted