Hello...Ercol chairs question

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by LJDJP, Jun 16, 2020.

1. LJDJP

LJDJP New Member

Hi everyone

I'm new here - and I am a newbie when it comes to antiques and old things although I am interested in learning more. I know that maybe these chairs are not antique but rather vintage/old but I have only just acquired them and would just like to know a bit more about them. I have tried to research where I can but had a few questions and after poking around on this site thought someone may be able to help?

I know they are Ercol and obviously in the darker wood. I think I have identified them as Windsor armchair (r) and Goldsmith Carver (l), although i'm not sure. Is the armchair identifiable by the number of spindles? Also, as you can see from the pictures of the armchair, the seat is made from tension springs which google tells me makes it from mid 1950's before they went to webbing. Is this the case? Does this make a difference at all (to desirability, cost etc)? Also, I was curious as to whether the material is from Ercol (if this is something that can be determined)? I have attached a picture of the label on the cushion cover and of the material. I know the cushions are new or at least have been re-upholstered but was just looking for clues

Thank you in advance for any help

LJDJP

chairs1.jpg

chairs2.jpg

chairs3.jpg

chairs4.jpg

chairs5.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    KSW likes this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I grew up near High Wycombe where the Ercol factory was. There was a huge chair manufacturing industry there. Always good quality.
    Sorry that's a bit random!.
    I'd have both of those chairs in my house.:)

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ercol themselves will tell you if the newer upholstery is theirs. I don't think it is: my own Ercol has newish cushions which I had redone in about 2007 by them. The labels are different. It might be Plumbs who also offer Ercol cushions. Yours predate the newer fire regs.

KSW likes this.
  6. LJDJP

LJDJP New Member

Thank you for all your replies. I am excited to have both of these chairs in my house as I think they are great pieces! No plan to sell at the moment, at lease until I know a bit more and have sat in them myself . I tend to get a bit attached to things anyway!

With regard the link to the 203 - are you suggesting it is one? I had seen that link but it states that the 203 had 10 spindles, “no exception” (or 8 and forks).

I may see if Ercol can help with identification - thanks for the suggestion.

KSW likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

There's an excellent and very knowledgeable Facebook group for Ercol. I'd try that too.

KSW and LJDJP like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I really don’t know but that link seems to have some useful information on other models too. Agree with OBB that the upholstery doesn’t look original going by what’s in that catalogue.

LJDJP likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

The upholstery is post 88, anyhow - and the style is very 90s.

KSW likes this.
  10. LJDJP

LJDJP New Member

It is quite 90's :D I quite like it. Also, it seems nice quality

KSW likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

It's William Morris, sort of - and goes very well with the chairs.

KSW likes this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

My mum used to go into the Ercol factory donkeys years ago and get off cuts and end of rolls for her craft projects and making costumes and props for the drama group. Costumes made of upholstery fabric always hang well :hilarious::hilarious:

13. LJDJP

LJDJP New Member

It is rather. They’ve done a nice job and it does go well. I don’t think it looks too dated!

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted