Hello everyone! Is this an ink well?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Meghan310, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Meghan310

Meghan310 New Member

2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Yes. Looks art nouveau. Very nice :)

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Meghan.
    I'm with Barn, Art Nouveau inkstand with inkwell. Is it a set, are the tripod object and the one in front part of it? I can't really make out how it all works together.
    Could you take more pictures, also of the objects separately, botttoms, side views? And are there any marks?

Christmasjoy, judy and sabre123 like this.
  4. Wodawolly

Wodawolly Member

I think this is an art noveau gentlemans desk set. Inkwell yes, base to hold inkwell and pens, bits and bobs. Scalloped object towards the top left of photo looks to be a smoking Pipe rest/stand. If very light in weight, I'm thinking the metal may be smelter.

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Defintely an art nouveau inkstand, ca. 1900-1910-ish, I'd say. I've seen a few of these and they're usually made of brass or bronze. The space next to the inkwell would be for things like pen-nibs, stamps, etc. But it's also where the rocker-blotter (piece immediate front, first photograph) is supposed to sit, when it's not being used.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So that's what it is! Thanks Shangas, no more sleepless nights wondering about the mystery object....;)

i need help, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

You can't see it so good, but it would look something like this:

[​IMG]

Basically the top slides apart, you line the base with blotting-paper, fold it over inside, and then slide the top back on. The tension of the rocker holds everything together. There was a time when every desk had one of these. Mine still does, because I write with fountain pens and sometimes I'm too impatient to wait for the ink to dry :p

8. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted