Hello to all and looking for other trunk lovers.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by David M. Griggs, Mar 19, 2019.

1. David M. Griggs

David M. Griggs New Member

Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know what my main interests are but not limited to with antiques. I am about to turn 47 and have been disabled with a rare genetic disorder since my early 30s so I have an unlimited amount of time to kill and very little to fill that time due to medical limitations. I greatly enjoy restoring mostly Victorian era items simply because of seeing the early ways they designed and built mechanical things and how they have evolved over the past couple of centuries. As much as I like the mechanical by far my greatest love is restoring the very odd and intricate trunks. For me it is easy to explain what I like...... THE WEIRDER the BETTER!!!!!!!! Now that you know a little about me please let me know if you also enjoy old trunks, if you happen to know much about them and especially if you also restore them. I’m always up for swapping tricky techniques and oddball knowledge. Thanks to everyone for their time.

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Great intro, David!
    We have only one old trunk, a "humpback" or "camelback" that we restored about 10 years ago. I think it's ca. 1880. Not too weird, unfortunately.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, from another member with a rare genetic disorder, unlimited time, and very limited energy.

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hi David. There's a wealth of knowledge on this board and a group of very friendly people. Welcome!

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome David. A trunk was presented here just the other day. I used to be a partner in old trunk restoration. I was the one who replaced old liners.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

CC5E89C0-77B4-455D-8BC9-01196EF1563B.jpeg This is an interesting, weird trunk! :hilarious:
    We have fun here, too!
    Welcome to the Forum, David! :)

8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi David!

Welcome to Antiquers!

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS, David!!!! And sorry about your disorder..... sounds like in spite of it you've found a wonderful way to fill your time with restoration!!!!! We hope you will post some of your treasures eventually!!!!!

10. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Welcome, @David M. Griggs

Good to know, as we are neighbors!

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  11. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I think he gives drawing lessons on PBS :)

[​IMG]

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

14. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi David and welcome! I like old trunks but only have one, unrestored, and not unusual. I love it anyway!

Sure would love to see yours or what you think of as unusual:)

16. David M. Griggs

David M. Griggs New Member

N

Just so you know, there are a lot of simple things that if you are handy you can really make big changes to them with mostly time and a little money. Most of the things done in a restoration are pretty easy for anyone to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted