Hello Toolies! Unusual early electric drill?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Happy!, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Have found out from another forum that this appears to be "early".

Anyone know how early it could be? Maker?

Is there a market for this? Any keywords I should use and what would you price it for if it were your's? Hope that is OK to ask here.

It runs in one direction only, no marks anywhere that we can find. Fits nicely in the hand. Thank you.
    TOOL DRILL A1.JPG
    TOOL DRILL B.JPG
    TOOL DRILL C.JPG
    TOOL DRILL A.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I see a brown bakelite on/off switch, also even size plug prongs. I'd guess late 40s early 50s.
    Any patent numbers, manufacturer name? You may have to take the plate off the back.

I should add to wait for experts, I'm guessing.

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It looks like the sort of thing Rosie the Riveter might have used to drill the rivet holes. I'd say WWII period.

The construction in what seems to be a one piece aluminium case is remarkably sparsely designed, and does not look easy to assemble or disassemble for repair.

I have not got a clue if there is any market for it but in design terms alone there ought to be.

I'd not try to disassemble anything. No good can come of it, it is meddling with things no man understands.......

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Looks like a failed design

No cooling?

5. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. More info: measures about 4"x4" without the chuck; with the chuck about 4" high x 5 1/2" long. DH is trying to see if any marks in the chuck. On the other board they mentioned the back area uses "safety wiring" to keep it all in, vibrations would "work" it out.

6. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Nope, no vents anywhere.

Been reading online and the first electric drill with a trigger mechanism was invented around 1917, I think. It has vent holes.

From about 1900 to that time, one site mentioned all aluminum bodies that were built like a truck.

Bakelite was invented in 1906, but looks like not widely used in factories until the 1930s, so not sure if that even helps to date this...

Draft saved Draft deleted