Featured Help! Aluminum...Stein? Tobacco Jar? Looks like a stein but lid not connected?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 3, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store with a wooden carved piece I posted here a few days ago that I also thought might be a tobacco jar.
    I actually thought this was a beer stein except the lid is not connected to the bottom like on every other stein I've seen - but translating the first line of the text says (I think!): not a drop in the cup anymore and the bag flaccid u empty
    Also the mark on the top says ZINN & TASAI(?)
    So it's a beer stein?

COLLECTIBLE TOBACCO JAR ALUMINUM GERMAN WRITING 1A_AA.JPG

COLLECTIBLE TOBACCO JAR ALUMINUM GERMAN WRITING 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE TOBACCO JAR ALUMINUM GERMAN WRITING 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE TOBACCO JAR ALUMINUM GERMAN WRITING 2AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE TOBACCO JAR ALUMINUM GERMAN WRITING 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE TOBACCO JAR ALUMINUM GERMAN WRITING 3AAA.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. JUSTIN JAMES

JUSTIN JAMES The Curios Agency

When you google the first line, a lot of Frieling pewter pieces with the same profile artwork come up. But I didn't see that exact shape or that mark.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    LauraGarnet02, judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The poem is part of 'Die Lindenwirtin', by Rudolf Baumbach. It is about a lady inn keeper in Godesberg, so this could be drinks related.

The poem is about a young man who gives his belongings one by one to the beautiful inn keeper in return for yet another jug of wine, the last thing he gives her is his body.:playful:
    On the jar you see the innocent beginning of the story, when he hands over his satchel.

[​IMG]

Postcard of the inn keeper and the inn the poem was inspired by:

[​IMG]
    http://www.goethezeitportal.de/wiss...d-kunst/rudolf-baumbach-die-lindenwirtin.html

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting funny story. He give her everything and they weren’t even married (ha ha). Must have been some real good wine!

LauraGarnet02 and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

He was very thirsty.:angelic:

LauraGarnet02, Bakersgma and Boland like this.
  8. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted