Help and information please

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by PACKRAT, Oct 29, 2016.

1. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

20161026_124121-1024x576.jpg 20161026_124219-1-1024x773.jpg 20161026_124141-1-1024x485.jpg 20161026_124129-1024x576.jpg First let me say how much I enjoy this site and the knowledge that is out there. Please provide any input you can on this brass dish. It certainly looks hand engraved, not machine done. It is 8 inch in diameter. Received it from a family friend many many years ago but I have no history on it.
    Thank you. View attachment 51849

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The mark reads Made In China. I don't believe that it is particularly old based on the workmanship. It is hand done but not engraved. The design was done with indention tools and a hammer.

3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Here's another brass bronze plate depicting Guan Yu. It is in deeper relief with more detail and older than yours. Note that it doesn't have "Made in China" on the back. This may mean it dates before 1921 when it was required though in later years some Chinese imports only use a sticker.

http://ancientpoint.com/inf/17457-a...ass_plate_guan_gong_warrior_god_on_horse.html

BTW, packrat, welcome to the forums.

--- Susan

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the way the D is backward.....no quality in this dish.

6. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

Interesting, Thanks so much for the replies verybrad, Ladybranch and komokwa .It must have taken many hours of diligent work to create this plate. Too bad it likely is of little value. Any ideas on that?
    Bill

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

from the workmanship, I see.....you'd be surprised at just how many FEW hours it took to make this.....

Rushed....in a factory.....comes to mind..
    If it has a value of over $25 ....I'd be amazed !