HELP! carved wood chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by emily ann, Jul 13, 2015.

1. emily ann

emily ann New Member

HI my name is emily and i just started collecting. I found this chair on craigslist for 20$. And i am in love! can anyone tell me about it?
    [​IMG]

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers, Emily Ann! :)

I like the carving on your chair and think it looks Victorian, but I'm not an expert.

3. emily ann

emily ann New Member

the fabric is somewhat new. but they left the moss in the seat. and i think that the two "wings" were added after and the top curve also.

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The wings do look to me like they may not have been there originally.

5. emily ann

emily ann New Member

tomorrow i am pulling out the staples on the fabric ill post pics of what is underneath. I think it is hand carved. There are tool marks and the carvings are not perfectly symmetrical. They guy i bought it from pulled it out of the trash. Someone had payed to have it taken away.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Posted over on the finds thread that I thought the styling rococo. My thoughts are that this is a 19th century version but really need more pics to tell much.

7. emily ann

emily ann New Member

ill take more tomorrow my phone broke. but these pictures were on the craigslist add. the chair is massive and heavy. Im from san diego and i got it here. so i have know idea where it could be from.
    00U0U_frvlAKC7G3r_600x450.jpg 00i0i_jDuJZKyyR3C_600x450.jpg

Attached Files:

8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

That is one heck of a chair! It reminds me of the chair which was on the altar for the celebratory priest -- often with armless chairs on either side for the acolytes. (High Mass, folks.)

Have no idea whether or not the wings are original, and truthfully, the chair would be more attractive without them. However, I would absolutely keep them!

Funky has its place!

9. verybrad

This may be 20th century. I would expect the stretchers to be carved in the round on an older chair. I am not very familiar with European furniture so it could be entirely correct for a 19th century piece such as this.

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Hmm, San Diego brings up another thought... possibly Mexican?

I seem to recall Mexican pieces with dark wood and this type of carving. If it is Mexican, it might not be as old.

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The carving is really over the top! Maybe the same as the rococo styling that Brad mentioned?

12. verybrad

While the elaborate stretcher is typical of Spanish furniture, a lot of the details on this are French. If I had to guess, I would say Italian in origin. If French, I think it would be a bit more restrained.

emily ann likes this.
  13. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Personally, I would check in the joints and crevices to see if there is any trace of gold/gilt. It looks like a stripped version of some of the over-the-top late 1800s stuff I used to see in the New York drawing rooms and libraries of the super nouveau riche as a kid. In other words, tumpery made for the tasteless classes of the era..................the Gilded Age as it were

NEO-BAROQUE! That is the term I was looking for....................

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  14. emily ann

emily ann New Member

I'm going to go take more pictures of it. I would have to say that it is hand carved because i see tool marks on and around the carvings. I don't know exactly what type of clear coat was used but it pretty much dissolves with spit. sorry gross i know. Growing up in san diego and seeing the old missions and the furniture there. I am pretty sure it is not mexican although it could have been shipped to mexico from europe. My best friends mom knows a lot about antiques and she says she thinks it could be a french parlor chair or a library chair. But she has never seen anything exactly like it. I am going to take the dust cover off and see if the wood is marked anywhere. the fabric is not original because it is covering a good portion of some of the carving. the wood under is a beautiful dark wood.

15. emily ann

emily ann New Member

16. verybrad

Your chair is oak and definitely hand carved. The use of Roman numerals on the parts suggests European origination.

I have been doing some searching and am finding the term Italian Baroque brings up the best matches. I eventually found this chair that is a pretty close match. This is a reproduction and, unfortunately, the seller has no provenance for the design other than Italian baroque.

[​IMG]

http://www.inessa.com/armchairs/italian-baroque-armchair-2053.html

silverthwait and Bakersgma like this.
  17. verybrad

Found this museum example of a 17th century Italian chair with some similarity. Note that the stretchers are carved on all sides, unlike yours.

I do think these two examples point us to 17th century Italian as a design source for your chair. My feeling is that it is a late 19th or early 20th century copy but you may want to do some further research.

[​IMG]

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O109262/armchair-unknown/

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. emily ann

emily ann New Member

What is a stretcher? sorry.

19. emily ann

emily ann New Member

either way I think it is just about the coolest thing ever. My parents already want me to sell it. No matter what it is worth it will be in my possession for ever.

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Listen, don't worry about using spit. ;) Seriously, it's what good painting restorers use to clean artworks!

emily ann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted