help concerning a strange 'swan mark' on a jewelry box and small tray

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by TT Antique, Jul 21, 2016.

1. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

Hi ALL

I recently bought a jewelry box and a small tray (am not sure of their silver nature). But both have a strange swan mark. The box has a swan mark and the letters AKS inside the swan. The swan on the tray has a capital T inside.I have attached the pics. Can anyone please shed light? I saw some comments on the internet about certain items imported to France in the past having a swan mark,,,but that used to be a swan inside a circle I guess..Anyway would be great to hear your comments.

thanks!
    TTA

Attached Files:

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Hi - these are Japanese, usually plated antimony or spelter, a trinket box and an ashtray, similar pieces date from the early to mid 20th century...

~Cheryl

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

Thanks Cheryl!...Was there a particular manufacturer in Japan? Are they of any worth given their date and obscurity?
    Thanks!
    TTA

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

They're actually pretty common - I have a friend who collects the trinket boxes, she usually sets her limit at $25., but she'll go higher if she really likes it (usually an Asian design rather than romantic), no idea on the ashtray, would think the floral of less value than more interesting designs. Believe I may have the name of the 'T-in-swan' mark, but not sure when I can look through my references - truthfully, don't believe it's particularly important...

~Cheryl