Featured Help date this photograph, please?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone can help me date this image... UK photograph of a man in academic dress. I've done a lot of searching for the style of robe/hat and think it's PhD regalia, but can't pin it down to a particular University. His trouser turn-ups suggest 1940s to me, while the glasses are possibly earlier?

The photo is glued to a board backing, but there's no information on it at all. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

photograph university graduation copy.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's tough. Just not a lot to go on. Try doing some research into collar shapes. (Rounded edge makes me think earlier rather than later.)

Debora

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  3. Batman_2000

Thanks... I just noticed the collar shape, now that you've pointed it out! And the jacket has round front edges too. Looks like the jacket and trousers might be different colours (shades of grey!)?

I'm interested in getting a date because of some copyright issues I've come across... wow, copyright is SO complicated! But I need the help of people more knowledgable about costume/fashion than I am :happy:

All help is appreciated :)

Christmasjoy, KingofThings and judy like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Just looking at the glasses, I am going to guess 1920s - 30s.
    Maybe 20s looking at the hat.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Batman_2000

Ooh, I like this... earlier is better! Thanks :)

This is great, thank you! I saw the term 'bonnet' somewhere, but somehow missed 'tudor' and the wiki page, so my searches didn't find much...

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Most photographs glued to cards or boards tend to be 1930s or earlier. If by board, you mean it's in a folder, those go a little later. [Never mind that last part... you said it's glued to a board, so not a folder most likely.]

Can you show a picture of the whole card? I'm not sure whether I'll be able to help, but maybe... Also, what is the size of the board?

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have guessed 20s too; look at how short his pants are. He's wearing high-waters.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. Batman_2000

Thanks everyone :)

I'm attaching the full item... the backing is a light weight card ('board' was probably the wrong word), but it's not as light weight as the usual presentation type wallets/folder. It looks like it's been cut off at the top though so may have had a front to it, and there's the remnants of some other paper on the back, so could have been stuck to something?

It's pretty tatty as you can see, and the photo itself is firmly stuck down.

Measures 20x14.7cm (photo) / 22x16.3cm (card backing)

graduation 920.jpg
    graduation 921.jpg

11. Batman_2000

12. Figtree3

Yes, the card is a bit torn up... so it's hard for me to tell. And the card is not huge, but larger than a traditional cabinet card photograph. So I'm still thinking some time in the early 20th century but the card doesn't help enough for me to get closer.

With the edges of the card being sort of a deckle edge, I wonder whether the top edge was originally glued to something else (as, for example, a tipped-in illustration in a program?), or whether somebody later glued it to an album page and perhaps that is why it is chopped off across the top? -- Just musing, since it would be impossible to know.

13. Batman_2000

Thanks, Fig... on closer inspection the back has definitely been glued to another piece of card or something. There's the strip of glue that you can just about see, and on top of it a separate layer of the torn card it was attached to.

I don't know if it means anything, but the actual photographic paper is quite sturdy (not the thin flimsy paper that I've sometimes come across).

The photo was with a bunch of others that were loose inside an old Victorian photo album. The photos vary in age, from 1870s to 1960s (at a guess) but I can't see this gentleman on any of the other photos, so no clues there.

I'm happy that the consensus age is earlier than I thought though, since someone has asked if they can use it and I hesitated due to UK copyright. As I understand it, the copyright of an unpublished photo by an unknown photographer expires 70 years after creation. I think I can safely assume this photograph is pre 1947 and therefore out of copyright :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  14. Figtree3

IMO, it's safe to say that this dates from before 1947.

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yep. Toothbrush mustaches were fashionable in the inter-war years and become unpopular -- duh -- with the rise of Hitler.

Debora

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think even Chaplin shaved his off. The nose mouse had to go when the idiot in Berlin made it his trademark.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Figtree3

Good point about the mustache!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I think 1920's too .. Joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted