Help dating a candlestick found metal detecting.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by J Dagger, Mar 8, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

28DB9C92-A36E-474E-9AA9-6E579FA8F980.jpeg 3B2FF5F5-27D5-48D1-BD63-9EF86F65C098.jpeg 79608611-2BC0-43F5-913D-EC593B7AFC5F.jpeg 41AE3F6C-45C0-4A86-A9C3-211BD60F88C5.jpeg It was warm here last week and the ground thawed enough to hit my favorite inland spot. The town it’s in had activity in 1700’s and earlier. I found (IMO) a very interesting candlestick there the other day. Not sure if it’s pewter, or lead, or otherwise. It has a very old look to me. The spot seems to have been someone(s) dump in the 30s/40s. Probably the farmhouse across the way. I’ve found sterling silver spoons and coins from that era. I’ve found coins form the early 1900’s. Lead bale seals that I assume are from the 1700’s or early 1800’s and other things I believe are from that era. This piece to me looks older though. It looks old world, although I could be wrong obviously. A guy I spoke with found some similar looking things in Scotland. I know that means nothing but interesting. So with that said anyone care to take a stab at an era? The metal is very dense and heavy. I’m sure something like this could have been made here too. There are crucifixes with what seems like animals on either side. Maybe a lion on the right side. Very ornate over the whole piece.

Mill Cove Treasures and KSW like this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

That candle cup size would be from the 1800's at the earliest, probably mid 1800's and later. The decoration isn't clear to me from the pics. Determining age from just a fragment is going to be very difficult - the decoration, base and overall design is the best way to do it, but you don't have any of that. You can determine whether it is lead or pewter by checking specific gravity. You didn't show the bottom where it was broken off - maybe a clue there?

J Dagger and komokwa like this.
  3. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the size of the candle it was meant to receive would be a clue or not. Not at all familiar with how the size of candlesticks changes over time. I’ll grab a photo of the bottom. Thanks for your help.