Help dating a Petromax Britelyt lantern...

Discussion in 'Tools' started by franrose, Sep 20, 2020.

1. franrose

franrose Active Member

Hi all! Haven’t been here since early-Covid times (which seems like about 100 years). My mom’s house is just about “show-ready” for renting out, and the last few interesting things have surfaced out of the garage and storage closet...

Here’s one that I need help dating, and I hope the Tool section is a good fit, otherwise I am fine to move the thread. A new-in-box Petromax lantern, looks un-used. Of course something my dad would have had! There’s no extra kit with funnel, etc., but there are extra wicks and a tiny manila envelope imprinted with ‘Britelyt’ that must have something in it - I found that last year and had no idea what it went to.

The newer version of this lantern has a name badge bearing an American flag. So far, just browsing random collectors’ posts online I have been unable to find anything to ascertain the age of this. Thank you in advance for any help!

Fran
    BC6FB2B1-B0BA-43C2-954E-8725BE1740DE.jpeg

FD88A3C5-C6F8-46B8-97F1-EC3C400C6D95.jpeg

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

What a nice looking lantern.

3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

What is the model number on it? I can't read it.

4. franrose

franrose Active Member

The box says ‘5th generation.’

Under the name ‘Britelyt’ the badge reads ‘Rapid 829/500CP.’

I could post a larger picture, I didn’t want to exceed the allowed size...

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Wow talk about mint in box ! Now lets talk about that money clip and those pens ! Any markings ?

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The taller lighter is older and mat have some interest..
    isn't the bottom pen a Cross...1/12th GF...or so??

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. franrose

franrose Active Member

Topic veer!

All this was in a desk drawer, my dad’s stuff. I looked everything up last year. The lighters are a Beattie and a Maruman Halley Piezo-electric lighter from Japan. The little pen is a STIK combo pen-and-rotary-phone-dialer from the 1950s. It was likely from my great grandmother’s house. The gold Cross pen has a little Cadillac emblem on it, maybe a retirement gift for a salesman? I have no idea where it came from or how it ended up in my father’s things. The money clip is a gold-and-silver “Walking Liberty” half dollar.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Reported both again

10. gregory k mosolf

gregory k mosolf New Member

wow that is a nice looking pressure lantern! That was made in Germany in the 1960s. There should be a number stamped on the bottom indicating the date of manufacture.
    BTW I am on the Classic Pressure Lamps Forum current lamp.jpg . Here is the old lamp I have been working on

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sweet tooth! I see a See's Candy peanut brittle hammer.

Debora

12. gregory k mosolf

gregory k mosolf New Member

if you post some more pictures I can get you more info on it. close ups of any writing stamped on the tank would be good.

Draft saved Draft deleted