Featured Help dating necklace style

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Marie Forjan, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi Joolies, can anyone tell me when this style necklace was popular? My first reaction is the 1920s but I got it from a woman who had mostly 1950s pieces.

It is sterling and measures 17-3/8" long, the center drop measures 1-3/4". It has a basic spring ring clasp and the beads are faceted citrine.

Thanks for any help :)

ForjanSSFascCitrineNcklc3.jpg
    ForjanSSFascCitrineNcklcCU.jpg

Dessert58, popsycat, KSW and 11 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Screams Czech 30s to me.

KSW, i need help, wenna and 2 others like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

I like that, thank you. Actually I love the necklace, this is one I will be sad to sell!

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's really quite pretty in its simplicity.

Debora

Dessert58, KSW, i need help and 2 others like this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

If it can help, this style is called Y necklace.
    The bolt ring is an old one 1910\1920s:)

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That would be my guess for the date for the entire necklace.
    Given the lack of Austro-Hungarian elements, and the citrine beads, Czech/Bohemian wouldn't be my first thought.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Dessert58 and kyratango like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

What tells you that?
    My knowledge of dating bolt rings needs a good nudge.

8. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

My limited two cents: Y-style is correct. It saw a big revival in the 1990s. Very often self-created by talented jool crafters with new metal findings, i e silver or silver-like chains, vintage crystal beads rescued from broken necklaces.

Yours is a very nice style, pretty, wearable. The catch is not "dateable" per se. They were made since at least the early 1900s, some even earlier, and as we speak. Only the materials and finishes vary.

There's risk in assigning vintage eras to single elements, findings or other components. There are many late marriages, remarriages of these around.

Better not to assign any particular era or style when selling but let the attractiveness of the jewelry speak for itself.

Here's a brief look into some jewelry myths:
    Dating Our Jewels, Part I:
    Clasps, Irridescence, Table Cut

Links to subsequent Parts in this series are at the end of this article. Links to other sites are usually no longer workable as this is a vintage archive now.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  9. Any Jewelry

These are some bolt rings you can find on antique jewellery, the ad dates from 1889:
    upload_2020-8-13_18-56-19.png

10. kyratango

Scroll down to the catalog page of bolt/spring rings:
    https://www.morninggloryjewelry.com/articles/reference-information/jewelry-findings/
    upload_2020-8-13_18-35-55.jpeg Yours is this one! Of course, impossible for now to find the referenced date... elsewhere than in my brain!:hilarious:

Little after, they were like this one:
    upload_2020-8-13_18-37-1.jpeg (note the little ball to operate the opening!)
    Latest ones:
    upload_2020-8-13_18-38-27.jpeg The operating part is an ugly folded wire!

Some links for your library (and mine!);)

https://navettejewellery.org/2019/03/24/dating-necklaces-clasps-and-fasteners-part-i/
    https://navettejewellery.org/2019/04/01/dating-necklaces-clasps-and-fasteners-part-ii/
    https://www.myclassicjewelry.com/blog/vintage-jewelry-hardware/
    https://navettejewellery.org/2019/04/08/dating-necklaces-clasps-and-fasteners-part-iii/

11. Marie Forjan

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, it is a great help :):):)

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

So Pretty! :)
    Would that be called a paper clip chain?

13. kyratango

Yes!

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Thank you, Kyra! :)

KSW and kyratango like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The color of the beads is another clue; there was a big craze for amber or yellow glass in the 30s. It's possible someone put that together after WWII out of elements stashed before the War too. The beads could very easily be early 50s too but ... dunno.

kyratango, KSW and i need help like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

The bolt ring is early as kyra rightly says. As is that chain. @Any Jewelry - I've had some signed Czech stuff with citrine looking glass. Also, those oblong links are so typical. Made to sit in a V neckline.

kyratango, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Those are also seen on German Jugendstil necklaces. Maybe on Austrian and Bohemian Secessionist as well. They were after all neighbours, and quite a few jewellery designers of the day travelled from one European country to another (including Britain).

KSW likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

True. Very flattering style, this, they sit so nicely.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Marie Forjan

I think it's flattering also! The woman I got this from had a lot of citrine, I think it must have been a relative's birth stone. She had her sister's, mother's, grandmother's and great grandmother's jewelry, clothing and silver to sell. It was the most fun house call I have ever been on :)

Born2it, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  20. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon AJ! I was wondering where you found this image because I have a forstner necklace with the #4 clasp which would be helpful with dating my piece. Thank you for responding and enjoy the rest of your day! <3

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted