Featured Help Dating This Image Please

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by TraceyB, Nov 3, 2020.

1. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

Hello :happy:
    I am hoping someone may be able to provide me a little info on this image please. How old is it? What is it?
    My uncle (great,great)? was an amateur photographer from Birmingham from approx 1906 onwards. His name was Alfred Roffey. This pic was amongst a lot of his work that was left to my Grandmother and eventually passed on down to me. Its 8.5 cm x 7cm.
    Thanks so much.
    Tracey 20201103_173928.jpg 20201103_174003.jpg 20201103_174022.jpg 20201103_174003.jpg 20201103_174103.jpg 20201103_174226.jpg 20201103_174249.jpg 20201103_174041.jpg

2. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Could you great great uncle have been taking photographs in 1903? Might he have been interested in politics? Left-wing politics?

If the answer is yes, it could have been this man? He would have been 33 years of age in 1903:

lenin2.jpg

The ears cause me some doubts. How old would your GGU have been in 1903?

KikoBlueEyes and TraceyB like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It looks like the image is a photograph of a drawing. If the support is glass (either dark glass, or painted on the back), it would be an ambrotype. If the support is lacquered metal, it would be a tintype. The preserver and mat (the metal frame parts) are typical of cased photos such as daguerreotypes and ambrotypes dating to the 1860s. The costume of the subject puts him a little earlier, in the 1850s.

4. TraceyB

Thank you Brian and thank you for your comments. Sadly I don't know the answers to your questions. I have only recently inherited all of this and am trying to sort through it all and make sense if it!
    @2manybooks thank you. Yes, the support is glass. I find the gold earring interesting. Was this common in the 1850's. I think the man looks like a rogue :rolleyes:

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I agree with all of these comments. Exactly my perceptions. The frame around the picture definitely is from the late 1850s or (more likely) 1860s. As soon as I saw it I thought ambrotype. It could be a tintype, though. I suspect it also dates from the same period as the frame. Although tintypes continued to be made into the early 20th century, by then they were mostly cheap ones done at tourist venues. So your relative would not have created it, but probably collected it. It is a wonderful image, by the way.

6. TraceyB

Oh yes, perhaps because of his interest in photography. I was wrong to think he was an amateur photographer. Going through some more bits and pieces it turns out he had his own photography business. I didn't know what an ambrotype was but have googled it. I now know the difference between daguerreotype and ambrotype!! Can ambrotypes be restored?

kyratango, Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From the cap, I would think he was a student.

Debora

TraceyB likes this.
  8. TraceyB

Thanks Debora Any thoughts on the earring?

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

His cap is known as a mechanics, forage, or wheel hat. They were informal wear, popular in the pre-Civil War period.

"Among sailors, a pierced earlobe was a symbol that the wearer had sailed around the world or had crossed the equator."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earring

"In addition, it is commonly held[citation needed] that a gold earring was worn by sailors in payment for a proper burial in the event that they might drown at sea. Should their bodies have been washed up on shore, it was hoped that the earring would serve as payment for "a proper Christian burial".
    https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/italian-history-culture/25973

Perhaps the young man was a sailor, and his portrait was drawn as a keepsake for someone before he went to sea again.

kyratango, blooey, FishLure and 7 others like this.
  10. TraceyB

How intetesting. Thank you. I can't help but wonder how my GGU came by this but I do actually think it had something to do with his interest in photography :happy:

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Figtree3

If you are talking about restoring the flaked areas on the surface of the image, I'm pretty sure that it's not possible to restore those areas. There are companies that do restoration through digitization of the image. I found the website for one in Australia for you to look at: https://www.timelens.com.au/

Don't know how far that is from you. It appears that yours does not have the protective outer case. Is that correct? Since it came down through your family I assume you are keeping it. If so, you might consider investing in a case. Empty cases from the period are sometimes available through eBay or other online sites. There are also people who make modern replica cases (marked as replicas). Both of these options could be a little pricey.

kyratango and TraceyB like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I also thought a sailor, and pretty early.
    That is the way it was for Dutch sailors and fishermen. Some wore a single earring, some two.

Just showing off some Dutch fishermen's earrings:playful:

From Urk (love this type):

[​IMG]

From Volendam:

[​IMG]

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've never dated a man with an earring............only women !!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::playful::playful:

kyratango, TraceyB and 2manybooks like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I have.:D

15. TraceyB

@Figtree3 I found some more. Some have cases and some don't. The ones that don't have cases have a little circular hook for hanging. I have added some more images :snaphappy:
    20201104_175124.jpg 20201104_175141.jpg 20201104_175201.jpg 20201104_175225.jpg 20201104_175242.jpg

kyratango, komokwa, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  16. TraceyB

@Any Jewelry I love these fishermen's earrings. I have never seen anything like this before. :)

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Beautiful! They also look 1850s-60s.

18. TraceyB

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall back in those days :D

kyratango, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

In a way you touch their lives by having these photos. That is what history is.:happy:

kyratango and TraceyB like this.
  20. Figtree3

It's possible that some of these are daguerreotypes. The highly reflective one at the upper left of the first photo (with the rectangular opening in the mat) appears to be one. [EDIT: The one of the young woman in shorter sleeves also appears to be a dag.]

Now that you've read about the differences between daguerreotypes and ambrotypes, do you have thoughts on which ones are which?

It appears that your relative was not only a photographer, but also a collector of older photography!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted