Help deciphering a Hebrew artist signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by abuadam97, Apr 28, 2020.

1. abuadam97

abuadam97 New Member

I would greatly appreciate any help in finding the artist with the signature in the attached pictures. I have 2 paintings that I acquired in Austin, Texas a couple years ago. With some research I was able to find out that the signature is in Hebrew.
    Both depicts European scenes. First depicts a cityscape like Paris and the other a port with 2 boats. Looks like 50's or 60's paintings but I can be wrong.

Attached Files:

2. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Doesn’t look like Hebrew to me.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not to me either. Just virtually illegible handwriting, which some artists specialize in.:playful:

komokwa likes this.
  4. abuadam97

abuadam97 New Member

I said Hebrew because some of the vowels in Hebrew are dots. I am attaching 2 screenshots of Hebrew Alphabets that shows that. I, also, listened to a couple videos on Youtube and they all shown that consonants take dot as vowels. It's a very tough language with so many variations. Makes it more complex is the handwritten is different than the digital one (computers).
    A lot of painters takes joy in making their work anonymous by signing ineligibly. It's a bit of a detective work.
    I hope somebody that can read and write Hebrew comes with a conclusive name of this artist or confirm that's not Hebrew alphabets at all.
    Thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Given the subject matter and style of the 2 paintings shown, I seriously doubt that they were signed in Hebrew letters.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Additionally, most factory paintings or souvenir paintings are intentionally signed in such a manner as to be either illegible or incomplete (i.e. family name only, etc.). In any event it ain’t Hebrew.

komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what ever is in the lower left of the street scene looks like a date.....

There's no Hebrew here....& YES..I write it and read it !

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The street scene looks like either France or Belgium, probably the first.
    The harbour scene looks like Malta to me, but I could be wrong. Maltese is a Semitic language, so related to Hebrew, but written in Latin script. Maltese never used Hebrew script.

Draft saved Draft deleted