HELP EXPLAIN PLEASE! FOUND PAINTING w/KKK(?) WEARING MASKS DOING AFRICAN TRIBAL DANCE?!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 7, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store today - it is one if the most...intriguing(?) paintings I've found in awhile.
    Are these African dancers wearing masks that just happen to look like KKK masks, or is this a painting of KKK members imitating a African tribe dance?
    Or am I completely off base?
    Thanks
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING KLU KLUX KLAN ARICAN DANCING PAINTING 1AA RESIZED.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING KLU KLUX KLAN ARICAN DANCING PAINTING 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING KLU KLUX KLAN ARICAN DANCING PAINTING 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING KLU KLUX KLAN ARICAN DANCING PAINTING 4AA.jpg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"just happen to look like" (and not even all that much like.) The klan never had pompoms on their hoods or fringed edges on their sleeves. ;)

3. journeymagazine

Makes sense - so what are they?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think "Carnival" dancers.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Carnivale/Mardi Gras somewhere? A Krew? [just scooped by Bakers] There's an emblem recurring throughout of a white circle quartered by black lines with one quarter filled in with red.

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I know: Ku Klux Krew.

judy likes this.
  7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

For someone who knows drums, that may be the easiest bit to id.

edit: That is, if it's not a complete fantasy piece.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    yourturntoloveit and Bronwen like this.
  8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Journeymagazine, I am just curious as to what "element" of the painting first caught your attention. ;)

I got "stuck" on the lower left-side of the painting with what "almost" looks like a small "jester" face/mask, replete with a green cap/hat with a green "dangle" and green "collar-ish" piece "floating" in space.

Then "floating" above the jester-figure is a two-horned bell on a black stick with several colors of "fringe" and then what I think is a tambourine with red "somethings" on it. :rolleyes:

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. Jivvy

After some sleep, I know what that little repeating symbol reminds me of -- medicine wheel.

The more I think about this piece, the more I think it's a bit of a bad dream the artist had. It's cheery, yet creepy. A mess of symbols and made up stuff (I don't think that drum exists anywhere, but I am not a drum person).

There may be some real word ceremony this piece depicts, but I don't think so.

And while it's not something I would hang, there's some definite skill there.

10. journeymagazine

The - What I thought was - kkk masks & robes dancing around a african drum is what caught my eye!

11. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

The drum is a conga drum. First made in Cuba in the 1930’s, but now a widely used hand drum for all Latin American music. Sometimes Used for carnival music so Carnival parade makes sense. This painting is from 1997 I think so could be from anywhere as these drums are really common now, but maybe Cuba.

judy likes this.
  12. Jivvy

Well, see there. I would have never considered that a conga drum.

judy likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

south american procession of "semana santa" ?

i need help likes this.
  14. journeymagazine

Anyone heard of the artist?

15. Jivvy

I think that's more about a whole lot of somber repentance...

Draft saved Draft deleted