Help finding info on this bed frame?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Max Dibble, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Max Dibble

Max Dibble Aspiring museum professional

Hello all! Last year I bought a bed frame off Facebook Marketplace for a measly $20. It was exactly the style I wanted, I’m no expert but I think it’s mid-century and I love MCM. Sadly, it doesn’t have any identifiable manufacturer’s logo or mark, just what appears to be a serial number and the color or style. This is printed on the back of the headboard, seen below. DD24A823-8C6F-433C-B6DA-040B8F05E91B.jpeg

Below is the front of the headboard (apologies for the mess, it’s currently being stored in my parents’ basement):
    76CF1B9C-56B1-4EE4-90EA-6602CD12BDBF.jpeg

I’d love to know who built my bed! Any info and/suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks similar to the late 1960s headboard I used to have. I see 78 on the back. That might be the year. - Just a guess -
    Presidential will be the collection.

Many every day manufacturers didn't mark their furniture.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

same design with 3 cubbies that I grew up with in the 60's...
    but mine was lighter hardwood...and better made.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think it's possible you're missing some sliding doors. I still have my parent's bed in the same style that one if my daughters says she's going to take one of these days.

Anyway here are photos of the sliding doors in action. I believe this was made by Lane in the 1950s if I'm remembering correctly.
    img20191212_070529.jpg img20191212_070618.jpg

Figtree3, Max Dibble, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Did everyone have this bed ?? I had one too ! In fact it went from us to several relatives and its still being used by a family member ! Ours was from Badcock ,solid wood and indestructible.

6. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Golden Afara is a type of African wood. Don't know if that is the real thing or not, but it looks similar.

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

8. komokwa

I did !!!
    & got rid of the sliding doors in no time.
    They were a bother...

Max Dibble likes this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I had one for a decade in my twenties but it was a single bed. Same wood.

komokwa and Max Dibble like this.
  10. Max Dibble

Thank you! This is very helpful!

11. Max Dibble

Yes, this one is a bit wobbly and the veneer has seen better days. It's held up surprisingly well considering that it made the seven-hour journey from Ohio to Pennsylvania in the back of my brother's flatbed! But for $20, it's a good little bed!

komokwa likes this.
  12. Max Dibble

It does look like there's a track carved into the underside of the top board, and I always wondered if I was missing doors, so thank you for confirming this! That bed is beautiful, by the way.

13. Max Dibble

The veneer may be Golden Afara, but it's not in great shape at the moment. When I have the money, space, and time, I'd love to repair it. Thank you for your answer!

14. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Hmmm, if I am remembering correctly (because I had a similar one growing up)
    I know that back then (1950's or thereabouts) they were known as/called "bookcase beds" because books could be kept behind the movable sliding doors.;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    antidiem likes this.
  15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Sadly I had one too :rolleyes: - I don't remember doors on the book shelf part, though.

antidiem and yourturntoloveit like this.
  16. komokwa

The only books I had back there were my comics...& a flashlight......for under the covers after lights out !!!
    Oh....& a clock radio.....& space for my cat !!!

yourturntoloveit and antidiem like this.
  17. komokwa

every night at lights out...he'd sit on my chest and get a long slow pet...until he purred like a vibrator......then he'd go scout the rest of the house.........
    ah....heaven !

18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like I'm one of the few who never had one of these. Nice discussion!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted