help fixing this old barometer

Discussion in 'Tools' started by gregory k mosolf, Jan 4, 2021.

1. gregory k mosolf

gregory k mosolf New Member

I don't actually have it in my hands. It is at my mother's house. and she would like to get it working. It is an old aneroid barometer so there is no mercury inside. probably from the 1930s. any barometer experts out there? baro1.jpg baro2.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe @sabre123??? If he doesn’t, might know who??

i need help likes this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tag, Aqui, but I am of little help here. I looked though a few barometer threads and @Fid and @Miscstuff may have some insight, to name a couple.

Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Tag......You’re IT! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

sabre123 and Aquitaine like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  7. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Sorry Gregory but it may be stuffed!! The hand being fully anticlockwise indicates either the vacuum chamber has completely lost its vacuum or the chain link has broken. Finding a replacement vacuum chamber that fits and has the same response is almost impossible but a broken chain might be repairable.

8. gregory k mosolf

Thanks for you informative responses everyone. I see the hand pointing straight down. that doesn't look good!. Ok will look at the spring/ chain next. I'll take a look at all the links suggested. Thanks!

9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about how a barometer works. All I know is spray it with contact cleaner to clean the dirt & grime off the innards, blow it off with air, and then if it doesn't work then throw it in the trash can - LOL!

Lotsa luck on getting it working!

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Someday, come back and post a progress report!

11. gregory k mosolf

Hi, So I don't actually have the barometer. My mom has it in another state. She thinks it is probably a worn out spring. She found a barometer repair person in Maine so will probably send it there. I'm sure the shipping and repair will cost a lot more than it is actually worth! But that is OK. I think the barometer has some sentimental value.
    Thanks for checking!

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted