Help.. hand woven basket locking lid unknown wood insert?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AntiqueFinds, Feb 16, 2018.

1. AntiqueFinds

AntiqueFinds Member

hello everyone,

I'm having difficulty identifying the use and provenance of this extremely interesting find; old unique woven basket with interested round wood insert with beveled edge. Dimensions are; 10" width x 10" deep with a height of 8" excluding handle. My searches have been fruitless. Cannot find anything similar. Please excuse my posting etiquette, but I'm new to this forum and just learning the ropes :)

https://www.antiquers.com/media/hand-wove-lid-basket.2818/download

https://www.antiquers.com/media/swing-handle-latch-basket.2819/

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, AntiqueFinds!

The way to properly link your Gallery pictures to your thread is to use the "camera" icon in the tool bar - Media Gallery Embed - rather than using the method you chose.

Give it a try!

3. AntiqueFinds

AntiqueFinds Member

4. Bakersgma

Good job.

There must be another explanation, but that wooden thing reminds me of outhouses at summer camp. :eek:

So, having gotten that out of the way :rolleyes:, what does the wooden thing look like out of the basket?

judy, Bronwen and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. Bakersgma

And Congratulations! You're member #6,000!!

Figtree3, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  6. AntiqueFinds

AntiqueFinds Member

Good question. I will upload images tomorrow am EST. I'm actually out for dinner with a friend right now. I had similar thoughts :) But doesn't make sense to me with it being so small and set in a porous container.

judy likes this.
  7. AntiqueFinds

AntiqueFinds Member

Seriously? Thank you!

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It's like a picnic basket, except one designed to hold a specific container upright when containers didn't have snap on lids. Just speculating. Looked like a latrine to me to, on first glance.

judy, Bakersgma and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. Bronwen

Port-a-Potty?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Like Bronwen said: "It's like a picnic basket, except one designed to hold a specific container upright when containers didn't have snap on lids."

Does that wooden piece come out of the basket fairly easily but stay in place if the basket is being carried?

I think that wooden "ring" in the center is to stabilize "something" (maybe a round casserole dish with side handles) . . . . or some such.

judy, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I wonder if it was to hold a bowl or something steady,like for shipping?

judy likes this.
  12. Bronwen

13. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Bronwen, great idea about a pie carrier and the link confirms your thinking. ;)

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Bronwen

These days my brain has a mind of its own & will suddenly retrieve a name, a memory, a bit of info, if left alone. Think an old maid librarian lives in the right hemisphere & just quietly goes into the stacks while the left side is chattering about it.

15. AntiqueFinds

AntiqueFinds Member

Here is an additional image of the wooden piece, and yes, it does come out easily. It's seated on two wicker? antique-hand-woven-wicker-basket-wood-insert.JPG corner supports, of which one of them has some loss. The lid has steel wire hinges. Thanks to everyone for your help.

yourturntoloveit and Bronwen like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @AntiqueFinds ! Just curious, is that a Great Pyrenees dog in your avatar? Or some other?

Draft saved Draft deleted