Help I/D artist name

Discussion in 'Art' started by Zeppelin78, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Zeppelin78

Zeppelin78 Well-Known Member

D3FD2640-464A-446F-8C60-516B30549A1D.jpeg 5BDB3671-B8E0-4B06-94DD-79B8267F29DF.jpeg 68257D84-1FDC-49F2-AB6B-012C9F3EDCD3.jpeg hello everyone have this oil painting put away in storage and just can’t make out the name looks like j.k chun maybe a Es or maybe that’s separate from the chun if anyone can make out something I am not seeing let me know what you thinks. Thanks to all Matt

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I cannot see the painting very well, but I get the impression it could be a factory painting. The frame and signature also seem indicative of this.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Zeppelin78

Zeppelin78 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply antidiem it’s not a factory painting it just stuff my grandfather had and he was a art dealer so he wouldn’t have a factory painting and I have been collecting antiques for a long time and it’s Definitely a hand painted was just hoping someone would be able to read the signature or maybe it might be something good since it once belong to a art dealer thanks again for the reply Matt

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

As for the sig... I recommend taking a picture straight on and at a higher resolution.

And maybe take it outside (during the day). :joyful:

In the meantime, I don't think this will help, but...

temp01.jpg

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I hear what you're saying , that you loved your grandfather, & while I can't speak to this artwork , if he was a real art dealer he would have had items in his collection that he knew were suspect.

I have several artworks in my collection that are not what they seem to be , bought for a number of different reasons , that only an expert in the field would recognize as fakes, while others would surmise that since they are found along with other authentic high end items....they must be genuine.

One major art dealer in Ca. has a garage filled with items no one ever sees.....he calls them his mistakes !!

Figtree3, judy, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have that with my Hindu and Buddhist bronzes. Like you, bought for different reasons, sometimes because I loved the original which is in a museum, sometimes for symbolic reasons. They share shelves with the real deal.

Figtree3, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I am an artist and a collector of fine arts and I still own a few factory paintings. Every single factory painting I own is "hand painted" as this is what they are. By your response, I suggest you google "highway paintings" / "factory paintings" to see the meaning of the term...

The frame appears to be a decorator style type to me, typical to a factory painting.

Figtree3, komokwa, judy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted