Help I/D hallmarks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Zeppelin78, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Zeppelin78

Zeppelin78 Well-Known Member

FBC6A939-EB40-4720-8EA9-0EA345A8FA77.jpeg B0860DF6-A061-4532-B8A2-8DDC9997D7F5.jpeg 8C4BC9C8-1413-4A3F-B8AD-96330549BA3D.jpeg 522E67B3-DBC0-42ED-9334-B1346485E70F.jpeg Hello everyone I got this tray today and was wondering about the 830s and the scale hallmarks can’t seem to find out if it is silver plate or maybe 830 silver any ideas would be great thanks like always ..Matt the only way I know if it’s silver is to cut it open and test the inner metal it tests as silver on the outside but of course silver plate would test as silver.

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Definitely 830 silver from one of the Scandinavian countries. Do NOT cut it!!!

kyratango and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Probably Norway, although I suppose it could be Danish. I'm not good with which Scandi countries use the letters with the little o above the A.

kyratango likes this.
  4. Zeppelin78

Hello bakergma I did a bad thing and already cut it up and it turned out to be silver o-well I only paid $1.50 for it so what ever profit is good for me.

5. Bakersgma

Deleted, now irrelevant.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

kyratango and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Bakersgma

:eek::arghh: Please come here first before you ever ever EVER do that again!

8. Zeppelin78

Thanks all it’s about 8 pieces now so we will say this discussion is closed thanks again matt

judy likes this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Loose translation: To a friend or to our friend, and the date is an anniversary of some sort (my guess is a work anniversary since it only lists one name??)

Fid and kyratango like this.
  10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

11. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hermann Huitfeldt Finne (13.9.1888 in Strinda- 11.02.1950 in Høyanger) was the son of farm owner at Tungen, Hans Wingaard Finne and Dorothea Amalie Høe Huitfeldt. Married to Rigmor Elisabeth (01.06.1896 - 03.09.1976). Brother of Paul Emil Finding.
    Hermann Finnne was a student at Trondheim Technical School 1908-12.
    He became an assistant at Strind's military engineering office in 1912. From 1913 ing. at Rjukan factory facilities. In 1916 department at A / S Høyangfallene in Sogn. Farm user at Tungen farm 1919-26. Employed at A / Saudefallene 1926-31, Svenska Aluminiumkompani Avesta 1932-34, in NACO Høyanger from 1936.

judy and kyratango like this.
  12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

13. Zeppelin78

Thank you mrnate for all the history. You guys are so great taking time to help other people find out about there items. Once again thanks to everyone for all the replies.

judy, kyratango and MrNate like this.
  14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:meh:Halas, what is done is done... :playful:what about finding a $$ valuable artist sketch for $1.50 and let your child make drawing on it....:rolleyes:;)

Would you scratch this one?

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Georg-Jens...883512?hash=item236f4896b8:g:C38AAOSwA3tXoJGC

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Fid and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:arghh::bigtears::bigtears:

silverthwait, judy and kyratango like this.
  16. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The saddest part of this whole post is the fact that someone told him the only way to "really" test for silver is to cut it. I can just picture a lovely Hester Bateman silver tray or even a Paul Revere teapot being scrapped for weight only when it could be worth 1000 times more. I hope OP is understanding our point here !

judy, Fid, Any Jewelry and 1 other person like this.
  17. Zeppelin78

I know everyone I messed up but I don’t let that happen to often but no matter what I will get my $1.50 back.

komokwa likes this.
  18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:grumpy:from my point of view, our concern was more about the eventual destruction of another interesting piece than your potential $ loss:angelic:
    Perhaps some of us have more kind of a collector's point of view;)

judy, Fid, anundverkaufen and 2 others like this.
  19. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Zeppelin,

I just wanted to say thanks for posting the pictures. I found it interesting to research the item and learn more about it. I don't judge you at all for what you do with your items, they are YOURS! I think if you want to cut them up cut cut cut! I know for me personally, I'm still refining my knowledge of silver items, including testing. I find the testing aspect quite fascinating and I'd be happy to share some of my methods I've learned so far, they aren't perfect but they have served me well so far. One of the best lessons I've learned so far in hunting for silver is to understand the language of markings and hallmarks, and in many cases I feel confident enough to not even acid test items at all.

If I had found this piece (I would love to find one like it) here's what I would have done if I had any doubt about the markings:

-Ice cube test: Place an ice cube in the center of the item while it is sitting on a flat surface at room temperature. This is a pretty good test as silver is one of the most conductive metals on earth. If the item is real silver, you would expect to observe two reactions: the ice cube will melt quicker compared to something that is stainless steel, and the transfer of cold would transfer quite quickly from where the ice cube is to the edges of the plate. This testing method isn't foolproof; items plated over copper will have similar results as copper is highly conductive also. But if the item was plated over brass/nickel silver etc. you would see a much slower rate of melting.

-Feeling the piece: perhaps this is my own judgement call, but I've found that real silver feels softer to the touch compared to plated items. One of the best non destructive tests that I've found is to gently bend the piece (not actually bend it, but feel how it flexes). With practice, there's a big difference between real silver and something plated over copper. So if the item passed the ice cube test, and I bend it, to be real silver I would expect to feel nice flexibility (unless it is very thick). If the item feels like it bends very rigidly, I would suspect it is plated copper.

-Magnet test: I honestly think the magnet test is mostly useless. If you had a neodymium magnet, you might actually see a response to magnets since the item is 830 purity. I don't use the magnet test much.

-There's a great test I've never done called a water displacement test. It wouldn't work for a weighted item, but in this case I suspect it would have worked perfectly. Essentially a water displacement test measures the difference between the dry weight of an item compared to the density (weight) of an item suspended in water. Only requires some basic equipment and math (scale, tub of water) but I've heard it's very reliable. If I get around to it, I'll test sometime and post the results on here.

-Destructive tests: You are definitely correct to assume that a surface level acid test might yield false results. Some folks advocate cutting a notch in an item and testing at the notch. My method: I'll use a testing stone, pick a corner of the item i'm testing that is inconspicuous, and rub down the edge repeatedly until I feel confident I've gotten through any plate (if there's any doubt you haven't gotten through the plate, just keep repeating the process), and then apply acid to the rubbing stone with the scrape mark you just made. After you apply the acid, wait 10 seconds, and take a clean kleenex and wipe the acid off the stone. If the kleenex shows a nice dark red spot, I know I have silver, if it shows blue/yellow/clear or gray, I know that the item is plated. I use this test only on items I have doubt or the markings are suspect.

Sorry for my long post, but I love sharing the knowledge I've learned so far. I'm in no way judging your actions, just offering some other methods that might allow you to keep your future pieces intact. Thanks!

cxgirl, judy, Houseful and 3 others like this.
  20. Zeppelin78

Thank you mrnate for your info on your silver testing idea I will keep those in mind and thanks once again for everyone’s replies it’s much appreciated until the next time ..Matt

judy, komokwa and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted