HELP I/D

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Zeppelin78, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Zeppelin78

Zeppelin78 Well-Known Member

45BBACED-9A7E-4FE2-8085-3D0A8BA63F5D.jpeg 7CE84B52-EF45-4B7E-82BA-EB7229962B1B.jpeg hello everyone I was hopping someone might be able to identify this item I looks to me to be very old and made of clay or something don’t think mit’s stone if anyone has any idea or the piece that would be great. Thanks. It’s about 1.6” tall

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Mmmmm, ceramic tile?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Zeppelin78

Not ceramic it’s clay pottery you can see all the tiny little stones and sandy stuff in it ...

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Ok have it yer way, clay pottery tile then.

judy likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

7. Zeppelin78

Well that is what it is thanks 2manybooks for the link thats alot of info thanks again. Matt

Kevin Meade, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a Thai amulet of the Amithaba Buddha, the Buddha in meditation. He is seated on a triple throne, symbol of his high spiritual status.
    My brother has a similar one, he had his set in gold (without the plastic front).

I think @AuDragon is your man for more cultural info.:)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  9. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hello Zeppelin and thanks AJ.
    2manybooks is spot on. It's a Thai amulet and very common in Thailand. In fact, near the Grand Palace and Wat Po in Bangkok, there is a street dedicated to amulets, lucky charms and Thai Buddha images. Millions of amulets are available in this street, which is crowded with collectors, monks, novice monks and tourists all looking for that one special item that will ensure prosperity and health and every imaginable need. Thai's are very superstitious and many still consult fortune tellers. That's why you see collectors with their loupe staring closely at amulets looking for some hidden quality or presence.

I have seen some amulets at auction in Thailand go for over 1 million baht ($25,000), but they have a provenance. I have also seen dozens in gold cases (like 2manybooks example) being worn around the neck of a single devotee.
    I have several that I have collected as they make a meaningful souvenir from the various places I have visited in Thailand and I've had my Tarot Cards read in Chiang Mai.
    Z, yours does not have a defined face (which is important) but does show some signs of being handled - the higher ridges and areas are cleaner than the valleys. There are many for sale on eBay if you are looking to get a price estimate.

Unknown-8.jpeg Unknown-7.jpeg images.jpeg Unknown-9.jpeg images-1.jpeg

10. Zeppelin78

Thank you auDRAGON for your reply and more information on the item I’m not worried about a value just came across it in my drawer and was wondering what it was but now with all the help from all of you I now know. Thanks again for the info. Matt

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  11. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The term "ceramic" covers a fairly large category, but basically means items made from clay (and similar materials) and permanently hardened by firing to a high temperature. Thus pottery, earthenware, stoneware, porcelain, and even brick...is considered ceramic.

Draft saved Draft deleted