Help, I need help finding out how much this Possum Belly / Hoosier is worth ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Stowefinds, Oct 26, 2020.

?

How much would this Possum Belly / Hoossier Cabinet worth?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2020.
  1. 500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2,000

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Stowefinds

Stowefinds New Member

Hi, we just bought a house built in Ca. 1839 and this cabinet came with it. I think it’s either a Pusum Belly or a Hoosier Cabinet. Not sure the time period but I think it’s from the 1930s because I found some ads for that time period from the same manufacturer- Boone. Any ideas of the time period and how much this would be worth?

Attached Files:

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hi Stowefinds. Maybe @daveydempsey or @Bookahtoo can move this thread to the Furniture forum. You may get more of the right eyes on it, rather than here in the Introductions forum.

Please don't create a duplicate thread for this item.

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hello, once upon a time these were "hot" & sold for good money, 1970s-1980s but, has a feeling they, along with a lot of other furniture forms have lost ground price-wise.
    Wait for others to post on present value as it is out of my area of interest.

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

James is right. Big sellers during the antique boom of the late 20th Century, but they've lost ground here in 2020, along with most other furniture types. I think the OP is probably right about the date; I'd say the value in my part of the U.S. Midwest would be $200 or so at auction. The piece looks like it's been refinished, which in this price point would be a plus.

6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I don't have anything to add other then I've seen so many really nice Hoosier Cabinets sell at auction for stupid cheap prices lately. Unfortunately @Ghopper1924 price is probably closer to reality then it should be. Prices still seem to be high in higher end antique stores and antique markets but those are retailers and I suspect they will be forced to concede to lower prices at some point.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    NewEngland, komokwa, verybrad and 3 others like this.
  7. Stowefinds

Stowefinds New Member

Thanks so much. This is very helpful.

komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I live in the Missouri and I agree $150 -$200 maybe a little more if all guts and jars are in side.

9. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

I agree with the others, I would get $150 - $200 at my NH auction sales.

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted