HELP ID ARTIST OF MID CENTURY(?) SURREAL PAINTING + MAKER OF OLD BLACK AMERICANA BANK?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 17, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I just got home with this - I drove up to Ft Lauderdale a few hours ago to buy 2 old cast iron black Americana banks by John Harper for $100 that I found on FB (the lady bank alone has sold for $250 - $300 on eBay).
    On the way back to I95 I saw a pawn shop & decided to stop. Besides a nice 1884o Morgan silver dollar I got for $25, I also bought this painting. I am sure I had one by the same artist but it was of 2 pairs of feet wrapped together; like they were laying in bed cuddling (the style is the same; except it's big fingers up front instead of toes this time!). But I don't remember that artist's name & this one is either unsigned or it is smudged (not sure if that was a signature on arm in 3rd photo?).
    Does anyone recognize the style or know the artist who painted this?
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    PS - my new old banks on bottom! (the man doesn't have a name only a number 3 as a marking; does antone know who made him? Thanks again!)

ART PAINTING SURREAL PAWN SHOP FT LAUDERDALE FIND 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING SURREAL PAWN SHOP FT LAUDERDALE FIND 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING SURREAL PAWN SHOP FT LAUDERDALE FIND 2BAA.JPG ART PAINTING SURREAL PAWN SHOP FT LAUDERDALE FIND 5AA.JPG

COLLECTIBLE BANK CAST IRON BLACK AMERICANA A GROUP 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BANK CAST IRON BLACK AMERICANA A GROUP 4AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BANK CAST IRON BLACK AMERICANA A GROUP 5AA.JPG

judy and ulilwitch like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's nice. Likely Latin American. Think "smudge" shading to give contour and weight to arm. Could signature be under frame?

Debora

i need help likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The man is named Jolly Boy.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I need help's thread above helpful. Oswaldo Guayasamín's 'Ternura.' ('Tenderness.' Lovely title.)

Debora

ternura-1989.jpg!PinterestSmall.jpeg

6. journeymagazine

So this is another copy?? Sheesh
    PS - thanks I need help: I forgot about that painting!
    Thanks Debora!

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's not a line by line copy but does appear to be "after."

Debora

aaroncab and ulilwitch like this.
  8. journeymagazine

Any way it's by Oswaldo Guayasamín?

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not without a sig. Check under the frame.

Debora

aaroncab and ulilwitch like this.
  10. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I really like the painting. The man is hugging her from two different directions in the two paintings though. One from the right and the other from the left. Odd. So would they be from different artists? The banks are adorable.

judy likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

Also - on mine his eyes are open & they are closed on the other.

ulilwitch likes this.
  12. Andrés Fernández

Andrés Fernández New Member

13. Andrés Fernández

Andrés Fernández New Member

Hi there! I have this painting that matches the signature you are talking about, what do yo think?

AE121B4F-3C77-4784-8E48-6675226E54D0.jpeg F32D3F25-20DF-4FF5-BAA7-4F8D7111FAB5.jpeg

judy likes this.
  14. journeymagazine

Googled painting signed Negret and several by Edgar Negret on Invaluable but signature there is script + his N looks like M.
    I still like this (I'm addicted to art!)

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted