HELP ID ARTIST OF VERY COOL, VERY OLD BULL FIGHTING PAINTING

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 11, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I didn't find anything special at the local thrift store today so I stopped at a couple of 2nd hand furniture/thrift like stores - and found this beautiful (to me) old bull fighting painting! (Please don't tell me it's factory art!)
    But the artist's name looks like initials to me? SO I was hoping this is a painting by a famous Spanish artist that someone will easily recognize & tell me who it is?
    Thank you!

ART PAINTING BULL FIGHTING 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING BULL FIGHTING 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING BULL FIGHTING 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING BULL FIGHTING 4AA.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Figtree3, judy, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I have a favourite bullfight painting too, (mine is from Ecuador, not Spain) ..I call it "the bull's revenge"
    bullfight.jpg

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Huh. There does appear to have been a painter named André Gior. Wouldn't call this "very old" though. Post-World War II, I'd think.

Debora

Figtree3, Bakersgma and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Probably 1960s.

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm curious what age journey would consider to be "very old."

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've found several sites listing sales of paintings signed "A. Gior" and the signature looks very similar to the one on yours, @journeymagazine . And some of those sites say the painter's name is André Gior (or André de Gior). However, none of those seem to have identified on their sites who that person was. And to me, this means a lot of copycats, just using artist information they found in other listings.

Here's one listing where you can see the signature well in the slide show.
    https://www.ebth.com/items/9204562-mid-20th-century-oil-painting-of-clown

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thanks I found some by him but not with the full name. I liked this one at first because of the look in the bull's eyes.
    PS I'm not sure what very old is - the way I know to tell if a painting is ...older... Is if it has the wood spacers on the back of the frame!

Draft saved Draft deleted