Featured Help ID Bohemian Iridescent Glass Vase Silver Overlay

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marie Forjan, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi Glasses, I came across this beauty yesterday and was wondering if anyone can help with an ID. I went through this site but didn't see anything close to it:
    http://users.skynet.be/fa000612/

It measures 7" tall, 3" wide at bottom, 4-1/4" at the widest part. The silver is marked in 2 places "MF 1909" and since my initials are MF I think it was fate that I found this :)

The glass appears to be amber with a blue iridescence. On the bottom is lightly scratched "231X", you can see it on the bottom photo at 6:00.

SSBlueIridescVaseFt1.jpg

SSBlueIridescVaseFt2.jpg

SSBlueIridescVaseTopDwn.jpg

SSBlueIridescVaseMrk.jpg

SSBlueIridescVaseBtm.jpg

2. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

I'm at a loss. Sorry.

But what a find!!!! Love it. Your initials!!

What makes you think Bohemian?

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. Marie Forjan

It looks a lot like glass from Loetz and other Bohemian companies from the early 1900s so I though it may be from there :)

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My first thought was Kralik,but Im no expert. That is one enviable vase,I want,Iwant !

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm with Johnny, I want I want I want.
    greg

6. Marie Forjan

I don't know, are either of your initials MF???????

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Marie,
    It stands for My Family. If it was for you it would have your family initial not your husbands family. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  8. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Marie,

What a great piece. I have cross posted this to a facebook page to see if I can nail down an ID for you.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's so wonderful....please do not put a nail in it !!!! :hilarious::hilarious:

10. Marie Forjan

Thank you so much, I am not on Facebook so I can't do that!

11. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Marie,

In your 3rd pic on the silver, there is another mark. (Right hand side) Does it say 1909 as well?

12. Marie Forjan

13. Marie Forjan

Yes, that is the second place it is marked, 1 petal says MF, the other 1909.

14. Marie Forjan

Wait, this one is even closer:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Art-Nouveau-Silver-Overlay-Blue-Iridescent-Vse-/291918845732?hash=item43f7b81724:g:zmYAAOSwx2dYCsYr&nma=true&si=2KVeiC8pcXj0XSo9pIreuStn4cs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

None of these examples seem to be marked on the silver, I bet MF is the person who bought it in 1909.

The first 2 do not point to any verification that they are Loetz so I do not want to use them as a source, but it is good to see what they sold for. Now I will have to decide if I want to sell it or keep it :woot:

15. Marie Forjan

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

I was looking it over with a loupe because I couldn't understand why iy isn't marked Sterling and I found a tiny mark. It is a cursive L and and incomplete Sterling. It was stamped need the base where the glass curves and part of the Sterling is not there.

Off to research the cursive L...

pearlsnblume and cxgirl like this.
  16. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

makes me think of Libbey, but didn't know they did iridescent wares....

17. Marie Forjan

I used one of those MicroCapture things to get the mark, it is all of 1/4" wide. It doesn't look like Libbey's signature, maybe it is a mark from whoever did the silver overlay?

SSBlueIridescVaseStrMrk.jpg

18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

19. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Right, I didn't think... again...

20. Marie Forjan

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted