Help ID Haviland Plate Please?- Owl family crest with Greek (?) Motto?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Darkwing Manor, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I am stumped! I found three of these 8 7/8" diameter plates today at the thrift store and can not find anything to ID them. All I can think of is that they were a custom order done by Haviland for a family. I'm not even sure the alphabet is Greek, some of the characters aren't making sense to me. Trying to translate this has proven to be well beyond my skill sets. Can anyone ID a pattern or translate the motto? Thank you! 5.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Does look like Greek, but I have no idea what it says.

i need help and Darkwing Manor like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And that may be a crest for a university, a fraternity or other educational or possibly even religious organization and not a family at all.

i need help and Darkwing Manor like this.
  4. Darkwing Manor

Perhaps it's the Hogwart's Athens campus. :shy:

5. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

6. Darkwing Manor

You nailed it! That even looks like their crest! Thank you!

7. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that is was professionally painted.
    It does not look like a stencil.
    Someone may have bought blank Haviland plates and painted them themselves.
    Can you see small variances between the 3 plates?

Darkwing Manor and i need help like this.
  9. Darkwing Manor

Yes, cc49, they are definitely hand-painted, with a great deal of difference in scale and detail, one from another. That bothered me that Haviland would turn out such a low-quality rendering, but I never thought of the after-market option. Very obvious, now that you point it out! I am assuming they were done in the same manner as the "china-painting" hobbyists of the era. Does anyone know what type of medium they used? I would guess that whatever it was , it was not fired on after applying? There are spot losses on one of the renderings..
    I guess I won't be making a windfall on re-sale of these! Oh well, I collect owls so they can just go in the vitrine... as if I had any more room.

6.jpg 7.jpg

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  11. Darkwing Manor

Thanks Debora. It doesn't look spectacular, does it! I have a dismal track record getting any bids on eBay. I seem to have fallen under an ancient Gypsy curse called "Can't sell life preservers to shipwreck victims". My sister, on the other hand, could sell ice cubes to Inuits! https://www.ebay.com/usr/darkwingmanor1

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I do think sorority items do better but yours is fairly old as Greek items go. Think you might do okay.

Debora

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  13. Darkwing Manor

Yes, I'm surprised these fine plates have survived the frat parties. I read in the Wiki description that they never allowed the actual letters of the fraternity to be imprinted on anything that could be broken. Wise beyond their years, or else their moms insisted on it.:shy:

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think Wiki is being a bit fanciful. And until recently, fraternities were fairly genteel organizations that were ruled by house mothers.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted