Featured Help ID Heavy Silver Hinge Bracelet

Discussion in 'Silver' started by LoveTheHunt!, Nov 24, 2019.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Greetings! I bought this bracelet at an estate sale this weekend, and hope (and BELIEVE!) that someone here can tell me something about it...
    It is 7/8" wide and weighs a bit over 2 oz., with "hobnails" all around. It hinges open, fastens closed with a pin.
    It DOES test positive for strong silver content.
    The only marks on it are 3 tiny indistinct stamps at the edge. Two of them appear to be the same, with just enough detail to know they ARE intentional marks, but nothing I can make out or photograph. The third mark is slightly larger, with partial letters or shapes visible.
    I'm posting some large images of the bracelet and marks. I'll appreciate any thoughts as to age, origin, makers, etc.
    Sterling_Silver-Hinge_Bracelet-Hobnail-fr.jpg
    Sterling_Silver-Hinge_Bracelet-Hobnail-up.jpg
    Sterling_Silver-Hinge_Bracelet-Hobnail-op.jpg
    Sterling_Silver-Hinge_Bracelet-Hobnail-op-ins.jpg
    Sterling_Silver-Hinge_Bracelet-Hobnail-marks-1.jpg
    Sterling_Silver-Hinge_Bracelet-Hobnail-marks-2.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi! Looks kind of to me at least, to have somewhat of a Middle Eastern look, but that doesn't mean I'm right!!:joyful::joyful: If you have a VERY soft toothbrush, would you want to try cleaning the area I've outlined in red as that also looks to me there "might" be some letters in that area.....again...I could be wrong. The marks aren't familiar to me....maybe @Bakersgma might see something she recognizes??

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The general shape of the mark reminds me of the French boar's head mark for silver:

[​IMG]

although the bracelet itself definitely looks mid-eastern/north African. Only thing I know for sure is that the marks are not Egyptian.

4. LoveTheHunt!

Well, my impression was also Middle Eastern, or Moroccan - thought I don't know why... I have also in the past seen tiny marks similar to this, but I don't recall where they were from, nor whether they were actually the same as these... I'm sure someone here will narrow it down for me!

5. LoveTheHunt!

Um, was there supposed to be an image for me to look at? I don't see it...

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'll give a shout out to @Any Jewelry .....for when she's around !!

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a traditional bracelet from Tunisia, so @Bronwen gets top marks for North African.:playful:
    The last two marks are both the Tunisian dog's head. It is not a fineness mark, but used when the Tunisian authorities want to say "nice quality old silversmithing, but not legally recognized as silver".
    The mark was introduced in 1942, but punched on older pieces. I think they wanted to recognize the old traditional crafts that way.
    The first mark is probably a maker's mark.

The lowest legal fineness in Tunisia is .680, my guess is this is just below that.
    .680 tests positive in many silver tests, and in some other countries, like Egypt, it would be legally recognized as silver.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Figtree3, Iouri, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OH LORDY, went and forgot to post the image @LoveTheHunt!!!! Sorry 'bout that!!:smuggrin::smuggrin: And as I said....could be nothing there.....just looks like there are some dark letters.....vertically.....

ZZZZZZ Sterling_Silver-Hinge_Bracelet-Hobnail-marks-22.jpg

LoveTheHunt!, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  9. LoveTheHunt!

Thanx, Aquitaine - unfortunately, nothing there but tarnish!

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Sorry, but it just made me think of Madonna
    [​IMG]

Renee Yancy likes this.
  11. LoveTheHunt!

UPDATE! I finally was able to get this tested for fineness with electronic gun - tested as .925 Sterling silver!

Any Jewelry, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I didn't see this thread the first time around, so thanks for the update!

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wonderful, thanks for letting us know.
    925 is highly unusual for old Tunisian silver. From 1856 their highest legal fineness was .900. But people did hand in old silver items to have jewellery made, so the first owner could have handed in some European silver for this bracelet.

Draft saved Draft deleted