help ID Miniature jewelry box?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by rink28, Jul 13, 2020.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

picked this really cool oriebtal box up today at my local thrift shop. It has iridescent shell inlays or some shell like with a bird. Any info would be great thanks!

20200713_134413.jpg 20200713_134428.jpg 20200713_134444.jpg 20200713_134502.jpg

ulilwitch and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Has to be Chinese, with mother of pearl inlay & cranes. Or is a lot of it trompe l'oeil? Do the colors in the MOP shift with the angle? Or stay the same colors no matter how you look? The 'stone' & MOP look like they could be printed on paper & glued on. Real stone would be heavy & cold to the touch.

bercrystal, ulilwitch and rink28 like this.
  3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I did find this but different scenery

Screenshot_20200713-152613_Amazon Shopping.jpg

ulilwitch and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the bottom. Are there little feet? Little plastic slides? Or does the whole bottom just scrape along when it's opened & closed? I had not seen one with this construction before, just lots of little medicine chest type ones. This one has the virtue of putting the drawers out of reach of cats like one I had who used to open jewellery box drawers, with predictable results. I had to devise something involving a bookend & a cutting board to keep him out of one of them.

bercrystal, ulilwitch and rink28 like this.
  5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I'll send pics of the bottom. It does have small circular ones.

ulilwitch likes this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

here are 2 pics on the side each side has 2 holes with a plastic glass in them. Like little windows which I thought was odd.

20200713_154306.jpg 20200713_154324.jpg

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks INH!

i need help likes this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is a Korean box.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  10. komokwa