Help ID this Amberina glass vase/decanter- Blenko?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lva483, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Hello,
    I know very little about glass. I have this small decanter/bud vase that is hand blown, no marks or signatures, in a deep mostly red amberina color (there is a small amount of orange around the rim). I think it could be Blenko, I've looked through the PDF's of catalogs and am completely overwhelmed. Its just under 5" in height. Thanks for your help!

2.jpg 7.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg

i need help likes this.
  2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Several companies made these generic vase shapes. Red is a heat sensitive color.The glass initially cools to a yellow/amber and has to be reheated aka struck to turn red. Yours is red as not enough yellow/amber to indicate that it was intentional.

Lva483 and i need help like this.
  3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The clear/orange around the rim is from reheating to cut and form the top of the piece, the blow pipe was originally attached there.

Bye the way, once on Antique Roadshow I heard an "authority" explains that the pontil on the bottom of a blown piece was where the blowpipe had been attached, it had been "blown through the bottom.!!! I about choked!

Don't ever fall for that. The pontil, either finished (ground and polished, or fire polished) broken off (sharp) Is where a punty rod had been temporarily attached so that the top, (where the blow pipe was/had been) could be finished, or other work could be done, handles, rigaree, etc.

Lva483, judy and i need help like this.
  4. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Thank you so much for your informative and thorough answer!

Draft saved Draft deleted