Help ID this Goebel snail

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gregsglass, Aug 7, 2017.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have this huge (well 7" long 6" high) snail. It has a tattered Goebel sticker but i do not know if it original to the piece. I have been looking at Goebel snails but they are all smaller and do not look like this one. I bought it 7 or 8 years ago at a house sale for 2 dollars. It is extremely heavy glass with a satinized shell. The bottom is slightly concave.
    Can anyone help with this piece?
    Thanks,
    greg

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      179.1 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      290.4 KB
      Views:
    lauragarnet and toomanytocount like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Could you post a photograph of the "tattered" sticker? Helpful for dating.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. gregsglass

Hi Debra,
    The metal sticker has all of the color off of it except for blue lettering saying Goebel. It has a large V but no Bee in it or above it. It is on the second photo.
    greg

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I did, of course, mean a close-up photograph.

Debora

5. gregsglass

Hi Debora,
    My camera will not take a closer view. It is only a 2megpixel. There used to be a couple of letters on the top ....harlot.... which I took as Charlotte.
    The rest washed off when I washed it when I first got it several years ago.
    greg

6. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Greg! I found a pair of Goebel Rose Candlesticks on eBay with a foil label that they say says "Western Germany Charlottenhutte". Unfortunately, they do not show the label itself.
    Don

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

9. gregsglass

Hi Don,
    Thanks for the information. Still no closer for an ID though.:oops:
    greg

10. lauragarnet

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. gregsglass

Hi Laura,
    That is the one!!!!! Thank you very much. I wonder what it sold for? I would never call this a paper weight. It is too big and heavy. Mine is not marked and sits very stable. I have looked for years but only seen the smaller ones. I wonder who the designer was? So many questions, I was beginning to think the sticker was added on and not really Goebel.
    greg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. lauragarnet

Darn, I wish yours was permanently marked on the bottom, too.:( The seller at the WorthPoint link says it weighs just shy of 5.5 pounds, so these are heavy little chunks. The measurements match too. 6 inches ht x 7 inches long.

I also tried the LiveAuctioneers site, but couldn't find any there, so have no access to any "sold for" prices so far. Maybe there is a Goebel site somewhere out there where a person could at least find the original retail price for these big, heavy glass snails.

At least you now know the copyright date is 1978.:)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. gregsglass

Hi Laura,
    At least I know for sure it is Goebel. I was beginning to think it was a stuck on sticker since in 10 years I never found anything about it.
    greg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted