Help ID this painter - GERMAN?

Discussion in 'Art' started by smadgos, Jul 7, 2018.

1. smadgos

smadgos Well-Known Member

Hello guys,
    could really use your help with this one.
    I bought it from the estate of a German antiques dealer along with some other paintings i managed to identify - All are from known GERMAN artists.

I assume this is probably a german artist too but i can not understand the signature.

I see: H.Ma-- OR H.Ma---

Oil on board, 23/27 cm, signed on the back as well.
    PLEASE HELP.
    THANK YOU :) IMG_9579.JPG עותק של IMG_9551 2.PNG IMG_9550.JPG IMG_9580.JPG IMG_9581.JPG

aaroncab likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Smadgos.

i need help likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

could be anything from Maur to Mair to Maier. I'd rather limit the research by the scribble on the back.

judy likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Smadgos!! Just offering an inverted image of the signature.... sometimes shows a better/clearer view....looks like it "could" be Maur.....just my guess....nice painting of someone's countryside manor!

עותק שלzzz IMG_9551 2.jpg

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice painting...

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It could be Schloss Wartin in Brandenburg. It might say Wartin on the back. Looks to me like a souvenir painting.

8. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi smadgos. I can't help with the signature but love the picture and frame. Does anyone know what the coloured effect on the frame is called? It looks like patches of gold leaf but what is the overall effect called? Thanks.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

age discoloration......? :happy:

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

from the pics on google computer says no.
    to me it looks rather like an abbey or cloister.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You might be right, but... there are certainly similarities, coverage of Wartin isn't particularly extensive, and this painting isn't showing anyone's front door.

Essentially what Aquitaine said: "nice painting of someone's countryside manor". Wartin could fit the bill.

12. Any Jewelry

Wartin has what I call Prussian roofs, those roofs in two parts, and the walls are yellow.
    [​IMG]

The painting shows a brook or riverlet, Wartin only has a pond, which is not connected to any flowing water.
    [​IMG]

I agree with alors, the building on the painting looks like it could be an abbey/monastery or convent.

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

most of the pictures show Wartin on a hilltop (or hillock :happy:) with the river passing at the foot.

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

To me the writing on the back looks like - Kreide or something similar.
    Also might have been something in front of that, you can put paper on and try pencil rubbing on paper.

15. AuDragon

Age discolouration? That's what my friends say about me! ;) I was talking about the frame. :joyful::joyful::joyful:

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Do you mean to say you have patches of gold leaf?:confused::hilarious:
    Like this?
    [​IMG]

i need help and komokwa like this.
  17. AuDragon

:joyful::joyful::joyful: I heard gold leaf was very good for your skin. Isn't there a cosmetic company using it? Perhaps I'll end up more like this:

Unknown-4.jpeg

;)

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  18. smadgos

smadgos Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the great info!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted