Featured Help? identify age and design of super heavy solid brass chandelier.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by WhatIsIt?, Dec 10, 2019.

1. WhatIsIt?

WhatIsIt? New Member

Hi, everyone. I know very little about antiques and I'm hoping you can help me know more about a chandelier I just bought off of Craigslist. It's about 12 pounds and is 20" in diameter, has 7 lights (including down light). It's not magnetic and I'm confident it's solid brass. Please take a look at the photos. Would really like to know the age and the design/origin. Thank you for your expertise!
    Antique_Brass_Chandelier-1.jpg Antique_Brass_Chandelier-2.jpg

Ghopper1924, KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If that gold wiring is original, can't be any earlier than the 70s and could be even later. If rewired, maybe a decade or two earlier. It is in an American colonial style and is very likely solid brass, though often the chains are plated steel.

3. WhatIsIt?

WhatIsIt? New Member

AWESOME. Thank you. It looks so old, but I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about. It is gold electrical cord and doesn't appear to me to be a rewire. I've Googled Colonial and can't find one like this (with big round brass center). Again, thank you!

4. WhatIsIt?

WhatIsIt? New Member

I just found a Dutch Colonial (at least, they call it Dutch Colonial) dutch_colonial.jpg and it seems to relate more to mine. What do you think?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

These types of chandeliers are quite common in areas of the country that have a lot of Colonial homes. Yours has 6 arms, more common than the one with 8 arms that you found. I don't remember seeing one with holes in the center ball. Nice chandelier.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I once had one from 1982 that was similar.

Draft saved Draft deleted