HELP IDENTIFY artist from Wunderlay bros fine art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Bigfoot, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

HELLO ALL....I purchased this painting from my little honey hole thift store over the last few days along with a piece of art glass and 2 pieces of pottery..this painting looks to be unsigned unless its hidden where the frame covers about .25 inch around..someone ripped the back open and taped it probably looking for a signature on the back..there is a sticker that says wunderlay bros fine art Pittsburg pa..there is glass over this oil on board..the board looks black..looks to be my g PICT0001.JPG PICT0002.JPG PICT0003.JPG PICT0004.JPG PICT0006.JPG PICT0008.JPG uess around 80 to 100 years old but I could be wrong..should I undo the tape and take a look for a signature...thanks in advance for your help

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I wouldn't invest too much effort. a good bread and butter job showing either one of the lakes in Northern Italy - lake Garda- or eventually one of the smaller lakes around the Mont Blanc in France - lac d'Annecy.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If they seal said Pittsburg the years would have been 1870 to 1911. Yours says Pittsburgh so anytime other than those years. Pittsburgh dropped the "H" during those years.
    greg

johnnycb09 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh dropping the "H" for 41 years - now there is a bit of trivia not many people know! Thanks Greg, maybe it will come up on Jeopardy one day. :D

komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I like the frame better than the painting, sorry, just not my taste. ;)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

thank you all

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It all had to do with people becoming more educated. They thought the more people become educated they would be confused with the gh.
    greg

wiscbirddog likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

reminded me of Art Vanderlay

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  11. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

thank you Debora...my seal looks to be 1920's or so...im thinking about removing the scotch tape and taking a look on the back..whats your opinion...Andy

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that the original paper backing adds no additional value. The seal does though as it provides provenance of a sort. To a well-respected gallery. Let's see if others agree.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  13. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

After reading that link you probably should remove it from the frame and look for a signature.And definitely keep that seal.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

15. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

THANKS TO ALL...THATS MY PLAN TOO

Draft saved Draft deleted