Help identify artist of large litho/print; oriental woman taking off her mask/face?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 19, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This is the 2nd (and last!) piece of art I bought at the thrift store today. And once again I can't make out the signature; it looks like A. Dallacote(?) to me?
    Any help with the signature would be greatly appreciated.

ART PRINT ORIENTAL WOMAN HOLDING MASK A DALLACOTE 1AA.JPG ART PRINT ORIENTAL WOMAN HOLDING MASK A DALLACOTE 2AA.JPG ART PRINT ORIENTAL WOMAN HOLDING MASK A DALLACOTE 3AA.JPG ART PRINT ORIENTAL WOMAN HOLDING MASK A DALLACOTE 4AA.JPG

2. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Amleto Dalla Costa. BTW, probably a good idea to start using the term Asian instead of Oriental.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Japanese woman in kimono with mask.

Debora

070db25fd46a027e76e82d488097ca8c.jpg

i need help likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

Thank you! - Also; is it wrong or incorrect to say oriental? (Sorry!)

5. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

While not inherently racist, the term is outdated. Asian is certainly more politically correct.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Asian is accurate when referring to countries, such as India, China, Japan, etc. There is a geographic location called Asia; there isn't one called the Orient. The Orient is a Western idea once used to refer to places to the east populated by non-Europeans and is now considered disparaging.

Debora

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Out west, we refer to people coming from "back east" as easterners ...what is the politically correct name for them?

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Orientals.:hilarious: You, on the other hand, are an Occidental.;)

JayBee likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My daughter had to tell me this a few years ago and was kind of indignant that I didn't know the difference. When I was a kid in school we used the terms Occidental and Oriental. At that time, as far as I knew, it referred to people from geographical locations. Until maybe ten years ago, I had no idea that the term had evolved into something politically incorrect. Also, the term Caucasian referred to populations to the west of the Caucasus Mountains and Asians to the East. I don't think anyone my age is being racist if we use the wrong term if we haven't been enlightened.

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I live on Cape Cod. You're either a native Cape Codder or a Wash-ashore. I moved here in 1976 but I'll always be a Wash-ashore. My husband's family got off the Mayflower and stayed so he's a native. People who came summers "since they were children' get offended being designated as Wash-ashores. LOL

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Well hell ! My wife is from Negros Oriental, I guess I better start calling it "Black Asia" ..... now you tell me which sounds more disparaging? And while we are at it , I had best not hear anyone call their footwear at the Beach "Flip Flops" because "Flip"
    is a derogatory word for Filipinos ( heaven forbid it should just be the sound they make when walking in them ! NOTE: The shoes , not the Filipinos) Political correctness has gone mad folks !!!! I guess we can no longer call Manila the "Pearl of the Orient" , I will now refer to it as the "Irritating sand growth of Asia" ( which in reality may reflect on how it actually is these days ) Forgive me for venting ! I shall now go eat my desert , I am having a "Native American from the Aleutians Frozen pastry on a stick " ....lol

13. Any Jewelry

I find the whole race theory thing confusing anyway. Dogs have clear and very distinct characteristics that are rightly seen as belonging to a specific race. But when it comes to humans, there is only one race with slight regional differences. Differences in colour in humans are the same as differences in colour between animals of the same race.

The emphasis on people's origins in the US, like in recent politics, is always surprising to me. Here in the Netherlands we are used to seeing people of different origins in high positions, government etc.
    I am not saying there isn't any discrimination at all, there are idiots in every country. But for over a century many of our politicians have been 'bi-racial', and no one ever bothered to mention it when they were elected or appointed.
    And 'we' Dutch-Indonesians have even been able to infiltrate into the Dutch royal family.:shifty::eek::hilarious:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Van_Poperin and Firemandk like this.
  14. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

As my Dad is fond of saying, "We are all 'Mutts'"

journeymagazine and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

He is right, you can tell him that from me.:playful:

16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

My stepdad's mother was born on a Reservation. He was born in 1917. He hated the term N.A. He always said he was a "damn Indian". His words. Of course, that was the 1950s and he was very old school.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted