Help identify awe inspiring antique painting please

Discussion in 'Art' started by GemHunter, Dec 16, 2021.

?

Could this be of value?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Possibly

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Not likely

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Complete waste of time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GemHunter

GemHunter New Member

Was bought at an estate sale.

All together it weighs a good 10 lbs or more. Seems to be 1800s to 1900s mostlikely original.

Frame is very exquisite and could be gold leaf finished. This makes me believe the painting is of value although there's no signature

The work is so detailed and so fine. Yet so large being about 3 to 4 feet tall 2 feet wide and 3 Inches thick.

The waterfall is approx 1 foot long and the two trees on the left hand must be about 2 feet tall themselves.

I've counted 16 sheep(?) With horns grazing on the lower left. 2 mountains with a waterfall front center and a massive snow covered mountain looming over it all in the back. Lastly 2 large trees front right.

Any possible info helps!!

2. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I can’t expand it enough to tell if it is a painting. The area at the top of the mountains and the clouds kind of looks like a print to me. 1920’s or 30’s, not sure. I like the frame.

Bakersgma and wiscbirddog like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Your best bet is going to be re-taking better photos in decent light.

Fid, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

We need to see the back, is it painted on wood, canvas, board? I can’t tell if it’s glazed either. Better pictures would really help.
    If you have a loupe or magnifying glass check the image for printed dots.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's quite a sizable piece! I agree with above as to needing better quality photographs. From what I can see, my first thought is its an early 20th century print in a gesso frame. Is it covered in glass?

Debora

6. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Since it is so heavy I assume it has glass. If it has glass that pretty much rules out an oil painting. The way that it is framed, there would be very little margin left under the frame. Since the image goes so close to the edge, I doubt it is a watercolor. Possible it got trimmed, but I am not convinced. It also is very faded in the way a print fades, certain colors are more fugitive than others. You could pop it out of the frame and that would give you more info, if a print should see copyright info, if a painting should be able to feel some texture. I suspect the materials that it is framed with are old and bad for the picture anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted