Help Identify Chinese Vase (?)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Macey, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Macey

Macey New Member

Antique newbie here. I have this vintage (?) vase that is virtually impossible to find any information about. Can anyone help me? I am trying to find another online.

bnhne90-2.jpg 1ArQ9iC.jpg

Attached Files:

kyratango likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Macey. First, the image of the marking is upside down. But the characters that appear above the "Made in China" just say "Made in China." Second, the other characters are likely to be an "honorific" mark, honoring an older reign period. This piece was likely made in the second half of the 20th century, at oldest, but seeing marks the right way around, would give you a better idea.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

https://gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml
    Checking the above (excellent) reference site, I didn't find an exact match to your mark, but I believe the characters read (keeping in mind this is NOT when your piece was made): "Qianlong Period (1736-1795) Make"

https://gotheborg.com/marks/marksintroduction.shtml
    Also from Gotheborg "Most porcelain marked 'Made in China' is usually from the 1970s and later."

Here is your mark, right side up (anyone who knows more than how to read the Gotheborg site (which is pretty much everything I know), feel free to correct me on any point!):

temp01.jpg

kyratango, Figtree3, Macey and 2 others like this.
  4. Macey

Macey New Member

My apologies for the upside down picture, I couldn't figure out how to flip the image on my computer. Thank you for the info and the excellent site!

kyratango likes this.
  5. Macey

Macey New Member

Hello there, thanks for your extensive research; I very much appreciate it! Do you know what something like this would be worth? I figured this piece wasn't that old; however, I bought it because it was pretty:). I've done hours of research online with this newfound information and using different key words, but I have had NO luck finding my vase. Odd, huh? Are there any sites or people I should refer to?

kyratango likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Macey.
    We don't give valuations here. Values depend on so many factors, like sales venue, location, quality, size, condition. We don't know any of these things from your description or the photos you posted.
    If you want to find something similar you could look for vintage Famille Rose vase with appliqué figures.
    Some people would consider this Famille Verte, so you can also try that.

[​IMG]

Figtree3, Bakersgma and Jivvy like this.
  7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Also, as a humble "expert" of the "I Can Some Days (and Some Days Only) Slog Through Gotheborg" ilk, I don't know enough to give valuations. :joyful:

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Macey . It's very pretty, no matter when it was made. Somebody would probably like it for decorative purposes.

Jivvy and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted