Help identify folk art piece?

Discussion in 'Art' started by thefathand, May 29, 2018.

1. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Hi friends,
    I bought this piece a few years ago and it's in been in my personal collection of stuff since. I'm trying to identify who it is and maybe when it was made? My usual items are in the lines of jewelry, tokens and coins wood carving is completely out of my league, so I'm reaching out in the hopes of getting some ideas.;) The only ideas I can come up with is maybe President Truman or Hank Williams. He's approximately 10 inches tall, and maybe 3 inches wide. I showed a lady and one of her comments was it may be a black Americana piece. That would be very cool if it is as it's one of my favorite pieces!!:) Anyone have any ideas? Lastly, it once had a name imprinted or stamped on his back but it's illegible now, even with brighter lights and loupes. I would greatly appreciate any assistance at all! Any comments or ideas!
    IMG_6855.JPG IMG_6852.JPG IMG_6851.JPG IMG_6857.JPG

IMG_6860.JPG

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

he's awesome! I get a Mexican vibe,but an older one.

3. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Interesting! I wish I could get a better view on his back but I just can't, photography is not my forte at all. It looks like there's a couple of hallmarks on his back and on one foot. Even though these pics are terrible, they may jog someone's memory. That's my hope! :D IMG_7078.JPG IMG_7079.JPG IMG_7082.JPG IMG_7086.JPG

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

It isnt wood. I'm pretty sure these are a type of plastic. My Mother had a boy and girl figurine that were similar in design/construction.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I'll second on the Mexico feel and the plastic. The lines on the feet look like the lines seen on resin pieces.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Yes, someone else mentioned resin somewhere else. Hopefully, I can get him over to the jewelry store this weekend, with their lighting and special glasses maybe they can help. I appreciate all comments.~Cheers!! :D

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'd say it is a wood figure made by a home woodcarver, not representing any particular historical figure.
    I see a number of indications that it is wood, not resin, though one can't be 100% sure of either diagnosis from a photo. I see some indication of porosity in the cross-grain areas, and no indication of the cast-in fake woodgrain one often sees in resin pieces.
    Western-themed carved wood figures in this size have been a popular project for home wood-carvers for years - my Dad has made several of them. This could easily be one of his. The surface appearance and color is identical to the finish Dad would use; a light stain, then a coat of varnish.
    Often based on photos or articles in woodcarver's magazines, they could have Hispanic or black appearing features without necessarily having been made by black or Hispanic carvers.

8. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

I'll take that response! :DI appreciate your input on this piece and I agree that it may not be any particular historical figure! I really do think it's wood and I'm thinking it was originally sold at a State or World's Fair. I think it's really wooden b/c of the 3 or 4 hallmarks it has. You usually don't see that many on resin! ;)

9. all_fakes

I'm not sure I see the hallmarks, and don't know about the World's Fair sale; my Dad gave several of his less-favorite carved figures to the Goodwill; some of his friends sold theirs at craft fairs.
    I don't have any photos of Dad's carvings handy, but here is a group of similar figures; the gnome-like guy on the lower left is from a pattern that Dad has used.

figures.jpg

10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Although it is made in a kind of "folk art style," I wouldn't call it true folk art, regardless of the material used.

Go to any big woodworking show or event, and you'll find dozens of books and/or patterns detailing how to carve pieces similar to this. And if it's a show featuring carvers and their work, as well as supplies, there will be several with examples in this style.

Plus resin or other composite material mass-produced replicas of this type of art are also widely available in tourist-area giftshops. It would be helpful to positively determine exactly what it is made from before offering it for sale, but I doubt if it will make any difference who made it.

11. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Hi all fakes,
    Do you happen to know the time frame yours were carved?? Just as a heads up! I ran over to my friends at the jewelry store and although they both agreed that it's wood, neither one could see the hallmarks that I see. Maybe I'm losing it. :D Guess I'll put it down for awhile :D

12. all_fakes

Time frame: these have been popular subjects for home woodcarvers for many years - 50 years at least.
    My Dad carved his around 15-20 years ago; I'd guess yours is about the same time frame, or newer; it could have been brand-new at the time you got it. Sorry, but I don't see any signs of age.

13. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

No worries, I haven't found anyone who sees what I want them to see anyways!! lol 042.gif

Draft saved Draft deleted