Featured HELP IDENTIFY hand made sterling art glass brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bigfoot, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

PICT0001.JPG PICT0007.JPG PICT0008.JPG PICT0009.JPG PICT0025.JPG PICT0018.JPG PICT0020.JPG PICT0021.JPG PICT0023.JPG HELLO ALL...This brooch is 2.75 inches tall..Hand made by a silver smith..the LILY looks hand blown and frosted satin...Im not sure what kind of stone is set..Its amber in color and faceted...the mother of pearl on the base is shaped into what kind of looks like a Chinese letter and the silver is set all the way around it and fashioned to its shape..On the back it says sterling and the hallmark is hand stamped and I'm pretty sure it says MKR...I researched an mkr hallmark but it not even close to the way this looks so im hoping you can tell me what kind of stone and the maker..who ever made this went through a lot of work so im thinking the stone is real..thanks for your help in advance...Andy

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  2. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

im not sure what happened but my photos came up twice

KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like a student/hobbyist piece.

KSW and judy like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

No problem. Go back and edit your post. Just delete the extras. It probably happened because you clicked full image for all and then full image for each one.

KSW and judy like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say artisan. It was designed around the freshwater pearl, etc. That clasp isn't amateur hour; someone who knew their stuff put it together.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

artisan all the way.....hand made OOAK....

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Nothing special about the clasp,they have been commercially made for years.

KSW and judy like this.
  8. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

Thanks all...any idea what the stone is...very amber in color...the fresh water pearl do you think it was cut to that shape or did it form naturally that way

KSW likes this.
  9. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

I think I answered one my questions.i saw some fresh water pearls on line with some really funky shapes...also do you think the other stone could be a topaz

KSW likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Could be, but I'd guess citrine. The Chinese are growing freshwaters in funky shapes deliberately. The oyster deposits nacre on whatever gets stuck inside its shell, so use an odd shape and get an odd-shaped pearl.

KSW, Houseful and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

thanks so much for all your help...lately I've put on a number of things and you all are the best at what you do..friday I found a few pieces of art pottery today an oil painting unsigned and a really nice piece of art glass..is there a limit of what I can put on in a certain time period..I just don't want to wear out my welcome by putting 3 things on in one day

KSW, KikoBlueEyes and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Do not fear posting several items in a day........some folks put several items in just one post !!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Just put them in the right forum for the right people to see them. :)

KSW and komokwa like this.
  14. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

thank you

KSW and komokwa like this.
  15. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

Correct, this is a very nice piece imho, and here is a nice example of a Chinese trained baroque pearl, as Evely explained.

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/ear...h-sea-pearl-gold-cross-earrings/id-j_6151842/

KikoBlueEyes, kyratango and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted