HELP IDENTIFY MAKER OF 2 LARGE OLD NAUTICAL LANTERNS

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 3, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I went to a auction yesterday - an old bar in Ft. Lauderdale (The Dive Bar) was closed & the owner was selling everything & retiring (to NC I think).
    I got these beautiful old nautical lanterns that have been converted to electric & had gung on either side of the stage for decades.
    The problem is the metal tags are worn & I can't see/make out the maker's name. I can see it was made in Poland & it has what looks like a anchor with a circle around it?
    Also 1 is red & the other is black?
    It measures 19" (22" when hanging from handle) tall * 9.5" wide.
    Thank you for your help!
    PS - I also got a very cool 1950s Budweiser surfboard & woody station wagon pool table light that I have to clean before showing!!

COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN LARGE PERKO 1AAZZ.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN LARGE PERKO 1BAAA_AA_AZZ.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN LARGE PERKO 1BAAA_AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN LARGE PERKO 1BAAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN LARGE PERKO 7AAZZ.JPG

Houseful likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like "Kotwiczna" to my eye.

Debora

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like it says POLAND at the very bottom:
    And with those bulbs, kind of looks like they might be, maybe lights for hallways for a large ship???????
    EDIT: OK, sorry Journey, I see you already spotted the Poland bit.....so not much help from me there......it always helps if I read the ENTIRE post!!!!:facepalm::muted::shy::wacky::(:oops::oops::sorry: Also not sure if the first large letter is K or R, but think K makes more sense!! "KOTWICZNA"
    ZZZZZZ LANTERN LABEL.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Might this be relevant?
    http://www.famor.eu/sites/default/files/latarnie_nawigacyjne_1.pdf

If you search for KOTWICZNA on that site, it comes up 3 times - but I have no idea what it means!

Also, I'm wondering if that 1975 on your lantern is a date. Note that the lanterns on the site above are described as "In accordance with IMO 1972 Convention".

I know little of Poland, and nothing of Polish, but perhaps it's a start?

Houseful likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Have they been painted? If not perhaps not nautical? That be brass, I believe.

6. journeymagazine

I don't think they were painted. Maybe railroad? but I doubt it.
    I thought KOTWICZNA was s serial number?

7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

google translate says: Kotwiczna=anchor

8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Are you sure? From underneath, looks like made of galvanized steel, with undercoat white paint, with top coat grey paint? Easy enough to scratch away paint on an unexposed surface to see what they are made of.

9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

if you search on lampa kotwiczna , well, you will find more of them. :joyful:

i need help likes this.
  10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

They are anchor lights for a ship or for a barge being towed (sometimes labeled "Not Under Command")....the 360 degree lens indicates this. The Fresnel lens refracts and amplifies light as to be seen from a greater distance...much like lenses seen in lighthouses. They look much like lights made in Europe, 1960's - 70's. Nice authentic lights, not the reproductions often seen out there.

11. journeymagazine

Thanks Drew - and everyone.
    PS - Here are the 2 cool Budweiser pool table lamps I also got that I said I would show you as soon as I took photos (The car is supposed to be the rare one (1 sold on eBay for $1,000+!), but google Budweiser Woodie & surfboard pool table light lamp & you can find a couple - I haven't been able to find another example of the 2nd - red with Budweiser in script - one I got (may be describing it incorrect but you'd think 1 or 2 would come up!). Either way they were a great find for the price ($60 each)!
    PSS - If you google The Diver Bar, Galt Ocean Mile Ft Lauderdale, there are a bunch of youtube videos of different bands playing at the bar - look on either side at the back of the stage & you might see these 2 nautical lamps/lanterns I posted about here!
    Thanks again for your help & all the info!

COLLECTIBLE BEER BUDWEISER A GROUP POOL TABLE LAMP LIGHT 1AAzz.jpg COLLECTIBLE BEER BUDWEISER SURFBOARD WOODY STATION WAGON LAMP LIGHT 1A_AAzz.jpg COLLECTIBLE BEER BUDWEISER SURFBOARD WOODY STATION WAGON LAMP LIGHT 3AAzz.jpg COLLECTIBLE BEER BUDWEISER SURFBOARD WOODY STATION WAGON LAMP LIGHT 4AAzz.jpg COLLECTIBLE BEER BUDWEISER SURFBOARD WOODY STATION WAGON LAMP LIGHT 5AAzz.jpg COLLECTIBLE BEER BUDWEISER RED VINTAGE LOOKING SCRIPT WRITING LAMP LIGHT 1AAZZ.jpg COLLECTIBLE BEER BUDWEISER RED VINTAGE LOOKING SCRIPT WRITING LAMP LIGHT 3AAzz.jpg COLLECTIBLE BEER BUDWEISER RED VINTAGE LOOKING SCRIPT WRITING LAMP LIGHT 5AAzz.JPG

BoudiccaJones, cxgirl and Jivvy like this.
  12. CWilson

CWilson New Member

Hi,
    I have 1 exactly like the red 1. Have you found any information on yours?

13. journeymagazine

Sold long ago I'm sorry

Draft saved Draft deleted